‘Tough times do not excuse tougher times at home,’ says Fiona Martin MP

·

The Morrison Government is rolling out extra measures to ensure people experiencing domestic, family and sexual violence know where to get help during the coronavirus pandemic.

The Help is Here campaign will include advertising of two national helplines, 1800RESPECT and MensLine Australia, across television, social media, radio and newspapers, as well as in shopping centres, hospitals and GP surgeries.

Member for Reid, Dr Fiona Martin, welcomed the new campaign and said it will show all Australians that there is free and confidential help at all hours, every day, if they are feeling unsafe in their homes.

“It’s important that anybody who feels unsafe in their home is able access help,” Dr Martin said.

“The campaign aims to make sure everybody in Reid is aware of the two national hotlines where they go for support. Tough times do not excuse tougher times at home.”

Minister for Families and Social Services, Senator Anne Ruston, also supported the campaign and said it will direct people more easily to the hotlines where they can talk directly and confidentially via online chat or phone.

“The campaign delivers the strong message that violence and abuse are never acceptable, no matter the circumstances,” Minister Ruston said.

“Increased stresses at a time like this are known and understandable but they are not an excuse for causing physical or psychological harm.”

Since the coronavirus pandemic began, more than 15 percent of contacts for MensLine Australia have been COVID-19 specific, while 1800RESPECT has seen an 11 percent increase in people accessing support when compared with the same time last year.

If you or someone you know is experiencing or at risk of domestic, family or sexual violence contact 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732) 1800respect.org.au or MensLine Australia (1300 789 978) mensline.org.au

For further information on the Federal Government’s Help is Here campaign, visit: www.australia.gov.au/dvsupport

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Aaron Zerefos Enterprises acquires Fresco Beverages 

Aaron Zerefos has announced the acquisition of the Fresco Beverages business, enhancing his hold on the Australian drink distribution market. 

Feros Group to take over premier waterfront venue in Darling Harbour

The Feros Group has announced they now own and operate the iconic Helm Bar & Bistro in Sydney's Darling Harbour.

Peter Mamouzelos aims to play in Greece as rugby league grows

Peter Mamouzelos has expressed his ambition to play rugby league in Greece, a goal that has been hindered in the past due to the sport's ban.

Trust-building steps taken in Cyprus, but peace talks still elusive

Cyprus' rival leaders, Greek Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar, made some progress on Wednesday.

Greece to invest 25 billion euros in major defence revamp

Greece is set to invest 25 billion euros in a comprehensive defence overhaul, marking the "most drastic" transformation in its modern history.

You May Also Like

Alex Hawke MP: New penalties proposed to protect migrant workers from coercive exploitation

The Government has released for public consultation an exposure draft of the Migration Amendment (Protecting Migrant Workers) Bill 2021.

Pizzeria owner Peter Poulos’ experience with COVID-19 during NSW’s current outbreak

Peter Poulos didn't expect to receive a call from NSW Health two days after dining at his pizzeria in Sydney's Paddington.

Theo Loizou eyes top prize in MasterChef Australia

Greek Australian chef, Theo Loizou, will go head-to-head with four of Australia's best chefs in the final week of MasterChef Australia.