Aresti Vassiliou’s family build accessible home in Victoria to keep him out of aged care

·

An eastern Victorian family has built an accessible home for their son who has a disability and hopes to be reimbursed by the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

According to ABC News, 36-year-old Aresti Vassiliou was diagnosed with a large tumour in his frontal lobe at the age of three. The surgery resulted in brain damage and, after a fall at a playground, years of seizures.

When ambulances tried to help Aresti one day during his time of need, paramedics took over an hour to get him out of the 1960s house he had grown up in. Narrow spaces made it difficult to manoeuvre him.

“Aresti got so upset, really distressed,” his sister, Catherine Vassiliou, told ABC News.

The family decided to build an accessible house, with widened doorways for emergency cases, a structural supported bathroom, climate control and other changes. They wanted to ensure Aresti did not end up in an assisted disability space in the future.

Photo by Marcus Aurelius

The NDIS allows for people living with disabilities to receive funds for support with daily living.

The Vassiliou family consulted their occupational therapist before making changes to their home and told ABC News they will apply for the NDIS in order to be reimbursed for the total cost of the accessible features. 

“That peace of mind that some of it could be covered through NDIS was great,” Catherine said, expressing her wish to see more companies get on board with accessible builds.

Metricon, alongside other builders, will soon be building more accessible homes, as a result of the National Construction Code (NCC) coming into effect last week.

Metricon regional manager for Gippsland, Jason MacGregor, said the changes would be included in the price of future builds.

“We feel very privileged to have made this design into a liveable home for Aresti,” Mr MacGregor said.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Melbourne entrepreneur Constantine Frantzeskos revives Ansett as AI travel platform

Tech entrepreneur Constantine Frantzeskos has relaunched the iconic Ansett Airlines brand, transforming it into The Ansett Travel Platform.

Hurstville City Minotaurs win Over-45 Championship for record-breaking tenth time

The final of the Over-45 Football Championship in NSW took place at Poulton Park on Friday, between Hurstville City Minotaurs and San Souci. 

Pontian House turns 45: Pontoxeniteas NSW marks milestone with moving opening night

The Pontian community of Sydney gathered in Earlwood on Friday for an opening ceremony marking 45 years since buying the Pontian House.