‘State of emergency’ not over on Evros border, Minister says

·

Citizens’ Protection Minister Michalis Chrysochoidis on Monday joined his Defence counterpart Nikos Panagiotopoulos on a visit to the Greek-Turkish border area of Evros.

The minister stressed that despite the departure of thousands of migrants and refugees from the Kastanies crossing, the “state of emergency” is not over.

“We are back at the Kastanies border post in order to assess the situation,” Panagiotopoulos said after being briefed by the chief of the National Defense General Staff, Konstantinos Floros.

Read More: Migrants moved from Greek border amid coronavirus pandemic

Read More: Fire breaks out in migrant camp at Turkey-Greece border as tents are burnt down [Video]

“We also has the opportunity to talk with the leaderships of the armed forces and the Hellenic Police on the local level, with the people who carried out their mission of guarding the border, of managing to maintain their impregnability from the surprise push of Clean Monday, and, of course, to plan our next moves,” Panagiotopoulos added.

Panagiotopoulos, however, said that “the state of emergency has not ended,” adding that the armed forces “remain vigilant.”

“We are at the beating heart of European solidarity,” he said, hailing the support of EU member-states to the Greek effort.

He also announced that an existing fence at the border would be extended to cover more areas that are vulnerable.

“Migrants will return to Evros when pandemic is over,” Turkey minister threatens

Turkey‘s Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu has threatened Greece and Europe that the migrants would return to Evros border once the coronavirus pandemic is over. The removal of migrants from the border last week “did not amount to a change in policy,” Soylu told NTV.

“When this epidemic is over we would not prevent whoever wants to leave,” Soylu said.

The migrants have reportedly been taken to migration centres in nine provinces.

The migrants were evacuated by bus to facilities where they would be in quarantine for two weeks to make sure they have not been infected with the coronavirus.

State-run Anadolu Agency said that some of the migrants asked to be moved, while others had to be convinced.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

IHO NYX brings Greek Rock to centre stage in Sydney this weekend

As Sunday, April 6 approaches, all eyes are on IHO NYX, the band ready to electrify Sydney with a concert dedicated entirely to Greek Rock.

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

You May Also Like

Enel Green Hellas rebrands after deal with Australia’s Macquarie Asset Management

Enel Green Power Hellas, in which Macquarie Asset Management recently took a 50% stake, has relaunched with a new name, Principia Energy.

‘Don’t Call Me A Wog!’ review: Anthony Locascio’s coming of age story

Don’t Call me A Wog! is a coming-of-age story that navigates his 29-year, on-again, off-again relationship with his ethnicity. 

COVID-19 vaccination not yet a priority for Stefanos Tsitsipas

The world No. 3 says he’s accepted that the ATP will likely make the vaccination mandatory but says he still has reservations.