‘It was really hard’: Nick Kyrgios on struggle to overcome Wimbledon defeat

·

Nick Kyrgios has opened up about the difficulty of bouncing back from his Wimbledon final loss to Novak Djokovic last month.

The 27-year-old tennis star said it took him “a while to get over that loss” because from a young age he’d always been told to aim for the “highest accolade” that the sport has to offer, which was to win a Wimbledon final.

“And I was so close I almost tasted it. So it was really hard for me to stomach that loss but I feel like I’ve done everything I can to bounce back,” Kyrgios said.

Kyrgios was devastated by his Wimbledon loss. Photo: John Walton / PA via AP.

“I’ve been training hard, my body’s feeling good and I’m serving great, so we’ll see how it goes.”

Kyrgios bounced back to win his second men’s double final alongside Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis, with the pair taking out the final of the Atlanta Open on Sunday.

He also continued his winning ways on Wednesday at the Citi Open as he beat American Marcos Giron.

In some disappointing news for fans though, Kyrgios revealed on Instagram late on Wednesday that he would skip the Laver Cup this year to spend more time with family.

“No Laver Cup for me this year!!!” Kyrgios posted on Instagram. “Just letting you all know. Gotta have that home with my family and beautiful girlfriend.”

The 2022 edition of the Laver Cup will be held in London from September 23-25. Kyrgios has played in all four previous editions of the competition.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece to invest 25 billion euros in major defence revamp

Greece is set to invest 25 billion euros in a comprehensive defence overhaul, marking the "most drastic" transformation in its modern history.

Trump targets Australia’s beef trade in new tariff announcement

Experts are warning of rising prices for American consumers as US President Donald Trump announces sweeping reciprocal tariffs.

The Greek passport (for Aussies) debacle: Part One

For quite a while now, I've been hearing complaints from Greek Australians about long delays in obtaining a Greek passport.

Harry Mavrolefteros’ First Education wins ‘Business of the Decade’ at National Awards

First Education, founded by Harry Mavrolefteros, was awarded 'Business of the Decade' at the 2025 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

Little Legs Foundation sets monopoly World Record in memory of Alegra Vasiliou

The Little Legs Foundation officially set a new Guinness World Record for the most people playing Monopoly in a single venue.

You May Also Like

EU approves multi-billion dollar relief for Greece’s economic recovery

The European Union has approved 30.5 billion euros for Greece’s economic recovery plan in an announcement on Thursday.

‘Good Samaritan’ Nick Karagiannis pleads guilty to fraudulent car dealings

Nick Karagiannis has pleaded guilty to secretly defrauding his former employer out of half a million dollars.

John Tsalapatis walks free from court after killing SA teacher in crash

John Tsalapatis, who caused a fatal crash at an SA intersection, has avoided jail but has been ordered to serve a three-year sentence at home.