Greek man fined for posing as medical practitioner in Victoria

·

A fake doctor has been caught pretending to be a geriatric specialist preying on vulnerable people at an aquatic centre in suburban Melbourne.

The national health regulator swooped on Panayiotis Marlassi-Bouras, 57, after two of his victims came forward.

The fraudster had approached them when attending swimming classes at Northcote Aquatic and Recreation Centre in January and February last year.

He handed them both a business card, which detailed he was a medical practitioner and aged care specialist at a facility called The Aged Care Clinic.

One of his victims was a brain tumour survivor who he told to stop taking her epilepsy medication “because she no longer needed it”.

He befriended her at the swimming lessons, telling her: “I am a doctor and (the instructor) is one of my patients.”

They then met outside the classes, where he told her that he was “a great doctor” and worked at a Melbourne hospital.

Exploiting her vulnerability, he later offered to help her get her driver’s licence, and set up a better mobile plan and bank accounts, asking her to hand over her passport and credit card details.

Going by Dr Marlassi-Bouras, he also targeted the swimming instructor, asking him about his knee injury after noticing he had a knee brace.

He told the man that he would provide him with a knee brace from his clinic. When he later delivered the brace, he looked at X-rays of the man’s knee.

The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency sent Marlassi-Bouras a cease and desist letter in March.

In an email, he told AHPRA his female victim was “mentally unstable” and fabricating her claims.

“I have never provided (her) with medical advice,” he said.

“Under no circumstances I have ever held myself or claimed to be a medical practitioner in Australia.”

He admitted he provided a business card, but said it was “by mistake” that he gave one that was meant for United Kingdom use only.

Marlassi-Bouras also acknowledged his email signature states he is a medical practitioner “since this is a term widely used in the UK and in the practice of my consultancy.”

An AHPRA investigation uncovered Marlassi-Bouras was not registered with the General Medical Council, the registration body for practitioners in the UK.

They charged him in October with six offences, including knowingly and recklessly holding himself out as being a registered health practitioner and falsely using the protected title of medical practitioner.

But he has since gone to ground and was a no-show at Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday, with AHPRA successfully applying to have the case heard in his absence.

Magistrate Michael King said for someone without any medical expertise to tell a woman to stop prescribed epilepsy medication was “inherently dangerous”.

“This was reckless in the extreme,” Mr King said.

“It showed a callous disregard for the complainant.”

He said the public should be able to rely on the integrity of the medical profession.

Mr King fined Marlassi-Bouras $10,000 and ordered he pay AHPRA’s legal costs.

He had dodged tough new laws introduced on July 1 where his crimes would have faced increased penalties and a prison term of up to three years.

AHPRA said this case “demonstrates our determination as a regulator to protect the Australian community from such unlawful and deceptive behaviour”.

“Patients put their trust in properly qualified and registered practitioners, and it is a gross violation of that trust when someone falsely claims to be registered,” the regulator said.

Anyone with concerns about a practitioner can report it to 1300 419 495.

Sourced via Herald Sun.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Voco Darwin suites open as family honours builder John Halikos

A new 88-room Voco hotel development in Darwin has opened as a tribute to late Territory builder John Halikos.

$180 million Axion Estin redevelopment awaits ministerial approval in Victoria

A $180 million redevelopment of the Holy Monastery of Axion Estin, a Greek Orthodox church site in Northcote, is under consideration.

Peter V’landys alleges ‘retaliation’ in defamation case against racing website owner

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys is accusing racehorse news owner Vicky Leonard of publishing an allegedly defamatory article.

Greece ends 22-year wait to reach handball World Cup with win over Netherlands

The Greek men’s handball team has qualified for the World Championship for the first time in 22 years after defeating the Netherlands 38–33.

Greece raises concerns over Turkey’s ‘Blue Homeland’ maritime law move

Greece has raised concerns over a planned Turkish law that would incorporate the “Blue Homeland” doctrine and disputed “gray zone.”

You May Also Like

Greece extends condolences to Japan over earthquake victims

Greece has expressed its sympathies to Japan's people following the catastrophic earthquake that struck the nation on New Year's Day.

Top 7 tips on how to stay safe during a flash flood

Here’s some advice from two emergency professionals on what to do when you see flood waters coming right at you.

Tribute concert for Mikis Theodorakis to hit stages across Australia

Dimitris Basis, George Ellis and Maria Yiakoulis will perform a tribute concert to Mikis Theodorakis across Australia.