Greece among 65 countries demanding safe passage of people out of Afghanistan

·

Greece has joined 65 other countries in asking that Afghans and international citizens who wish to depart, be allowed to do so.

State broadcaster ERT reported on Sunday that the Greek Foreign Ministry was seeking to secure the safe passage of two Afghan interpreters and their families. The translators had worked for a Greek unit.

“Afghans and international citizens who wish to depart must be allowed to do so; roads, airports and border crossing must remain open, and calm must be maintained,” the joint statement reads.

“The Afghan people deserve to live in safety, security and dignity. We in the international community stand ready to assist them.”

A man pulls a girl to get inside Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, Afghanistan August 16, 2021. Photo: Reuters/Stringer.

Some of the other signatories on the statement are Australia, The High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, the US and UK, among many others.

This statement comes as the world watched on with dismay on Monday after two decades of a US-led Western campaign in Afghanistan collapsed within hours when the Taliban took control of the capital Kabul.

Chaos unfolded at Kabul international airport as thousands of Afghans tried to flee the country, with several people clinging to the outside of a US military plane as it took off and plunging to their deaths, officials said.

Britain and other European nations say they will not recognise any government formed by the Taliban and want the West to work together on a common stance.

Chaos at Kabul airport. Photo: AP News.

But UK and European leaders have so far not spoken forcefully on Afghanistan, and their hands are tied in many ways: They have little leverage over the Taliban and they are deeply reluctant to publicly criticise the withdrawal decision by the United States, their powerful NATO ally, or comment on their own role in the failed intervention.

NATO countries were left with little choice but to pull out the roughly 7,000 non-American forces in Afghanistan after US President Joe Biden announced in April that he was ending the US involvement in the war by September, 20 years after the September 11, 2001, attacks.

This morning, Biden defended his decision to withdraw troops, insisting it would be wrong to ask American troops to risk their lives for a cause that Afghan soldiers and political leaders were not willing to fight for.

“I stand squarely behind my decision,” Biden said at a press conference. “After 20 years, I’ve learned the hard way that there was never a good time withdraw US forces.”

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

Olympiacos President to face trial over death of policeman in fan violence incident

Vangelis Marinakis, the president of Olympiacos FC, has been ordered to stand trial in Greece, accused of inciting sports-related violence.

You May Also Like

Olivia Boyages named finalist in the Rising Star category of the Australian Law Awards

Olivia Boyages has been named finalist in the 'Rising Star of the Year (Private Practice)' category of the Australian Law Awards 2021.

St Basil’s Fawkner bosses appeal court orders forcing them to give evidence

Two former managers of St Basil’s Fawkner have filed an appeal against orders forcing them to give evidence at an inquest.

‘Bring on the 11th’: Lunch spots are filling fast at Bill Drakopoulos’ Sydney restaurants

'Bring on the 11th': Lunch spots are filling fast at Bill Drakopoulos' Sydney restaurants, which include The Fenwick in Balmain.