Samos immigrant Christopher Nickles’ grandchild solves 80-year gravesite mystery

·

Samos-born immigrant Christopher Nickles’ cemetery plot has been discovered and restored at the Martyn St Cemetery in Cairns almost a century after his burial. 

Mr. Nickles’ granddaughter Bev Starrenburg recovered Christopher’s grave earlier this year with her husband Nick and says she was adamant on solving the mystery. 

“We knew he was buried in Martyn St Cemetery but we could never find it,” Mr. Starrenburg tells Courier Mail.

“All we could do was guess.” 

“Then at Easter (this year), we were wandering around looking at the grave markers. As we were doing it a tractor drove past driven by a cemetery worker named Ben and he invited us down to the office and we looked at these really old documents.”

A Cairns Post funeral notice for Christopher Nickles published in August 1941 (Source: Courier Mail)

Mrs. Starrenburg determined that there was a major mix-up six months after her grandfather was buried in August, 1941. 

Mr Nickles was buried without a plaque or headstone, leaving his family confined to the restraints of newspaper articles and fruitless assumptions about his resting place. 

On Sunday, Mr Nickles’ descendants across Queensland installed a plaque at the head of the tailor’s grave. 

“We really wanted to honour him, he was a good father and soldier. There was so much tragedy in his life and for 80 years he laid there in an unmarked grave,” Nick Starrenburg says.

Mr. Nickles emigrated from war-torn Greece to Innisfail in 1917. 

He worked as a master tailor in the School of Arts building on Lake Street in Cairns before marrying an Australian woman named Elizabeth in 1924. They raised four children – Edna, George, Elizabeth, and Terrance – through the Depression and the early war years. 

“It was a real struggle, they fought for their freedom and all he wanted was to be an Australian. And then he dies like that and I think it was really sad how his wife struggled to raise the four children.

“He is not forgotten, to me that is the most important thing, 80 years later.”

Source: Courier Mail

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

IHO NYX brings Greek Rock to centre stage in Sydney this weekend

As Sunday, April 6 approaches, all eyes are on IHO NYX, the band ready to electrify Sydney with a concert dedicated entirely to Greek Rock.

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

You May Also Like

NSW Labor’s plan to give relief to Sydney’s renters

New research by the Tenants Union shows renters in western Sydney are facing staggering increases in weekly rents.

Courtney Houssos MLC takes on extra portfolio in NSW Government

Courtney Houssos, MLC was sworn in to the new, additional portfolio of Domestic Manufacturing and Government Procurement.

Government spokesman Petsas: Migration influx has subsided, both on land and sea

Government spokesman Stelios Petsas on Saturday stressed Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis' firm support for the work of police authorities, "whose morals we rely on,...