Newington COO Ross Xenos vows to fight appeal and press ahead with coeducation

·

Newington College has reaffirmed its commitment to coeducation, with Chief Operating Officer Ross Xenos declaring the school will move forward “as expeditiously as possible” despite a fresh legal challenge from a current student.

The student, known only as Student A, last year attempted to block the prestigious Stanmore college from admitting female students, arguing that its 1873 deed of trust permitted only boys to be enrolled.

In May, Supreme Court Justice Guy Parker dismissed the claim, finding the word “youth” in the deed was used in a gender-neutral sense.

Backed by a group of old boys and parents opposed to coeducation, Student A has now launched an appeal through his tutor, Peter Johnston.

The case was briefly mentioned in court on Monday, where Registrar Peter Onisforou noted that the student must first clear the legal hurdle of seeking leave to appeal.

“It’s our view that we do have a right to appeal,” barrister Denis Barlin, acting for Student A, argued. “Our view is that given the value of the trust property is over $100,000… the provisions in relation to seeking leave to appeal don’t apply and we’ve got a right without seeking leave.”

But Mr Onisforou replied: “Your appeal is in relation to the definition of the word youth. Not in relation to the trust property which may well be worth more than $100,000.”

Despite the renewed challenge, Mr Xenos last week insisted the school remained undeterred.

“We will be seeking for this appeal to be dismissed as expeditiously as possible by the court, and we remain both excited and committed to welcoming girls and boys to our prep schools next year,” he said.

Newington announced in 2023 that it would become fully coeducational by 2033, beginning with the admission of girls into kindergarten and year five at its Stanmore and Lindfield campuses in 2026.

The decision sparked protests from some alumni and parents, but the college leadership has stood firm on the reform.

The matter is listed for hearing in October.

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

‘Greece should become a global educational destination’: Papastergiadis at the Delphi Economic Forum

“Greece with its rich history and culture should become a global educational destination,” said Bill Papastergiadis at Delphi Economic Forum.

Whiddon CEO Chris Mamarelis on impact of migrant reforms to aged care

The Albanese government announced in April the increase in the minimum salary for sponsoring a temporary migrant.

Hatted Greek restaurant unveils plans for new spin-off eatery in Surry Hills

Sydney hatted Potts Point restaurant, The Apollo has officially announced a new Greek spin-off eatery, Olympus.