Iran ‘orchestrated’ at least two antisemitic attacks on Australian soil, PM says

·

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has announced the expulsion of Iran’s ambassador to Australia after ASIO concluded that Tehran orchestrated a series of anti-Semitic attacks on Australian soil.

The unprecedented move marks the first time since the Second World War that Australia has expelled a foreign ambassador.

Speaking alongside AFP Commissioner Reece Kershaw, ASIO chief Mike Burgess, and Foreign Minister Penny Wong, Mr Albanese said ASIO had gathered “credible intelligence” linking Iran to at least two attacks — the firebombing of the Lewis’ Continental Kitchen in Bondi in October 2024 and the arson attack on Melbourne’s Adass Israel Synagogue in December.

A synagogue in East Melbourne was the target of an arson attack while 20 people were inside. Photo: ABC News / Rachel Clayton.
Melbourne’s Adass Israel Synagogue was the target of an arson attack while 20 people were inside. Photo: ABC News / Rachel Clayton.

“ASIO has now gathered enough credible intelligence to reach a deeply disturbing conclusion that the Iranian government directed at least two of these attacks,” the Prime Minister said.

“It is totally unacceptable, and the Australian Government is taking strong and decisive action in response. A short time ago, we informed the Iranian Ambassador to Australia that he would be expelled. We have suspended operations at our embassy in Tehran.”

Mr Albanese warned that Iran had “sought to harm and terrorise Jewish Australians and sow hatred and division in our community”. Australians in Iran have been advised to leave if it is safe to do so.

Foreign Minister Penny Wong described Iran’s conduct as “extraordinary and dangerous acts of aggression orchestrated by a foreign nation on Australian soil”, confirming that the ambassador, Ahmad Sadeghi, along with three other officials, had been declared persona non grata and given seven days to depart.

ASIO Director-General Mike Burgess explained how Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) had used a “layer cake” of intermediaries, including members of organised crime groups, to carry out attacks.

“Some of the alleged perpetrators did this because they were paid to do it,” he said.

Mr Burgess added that while Iran’s involvement had been proven in specific cases, ASIO did not believe the regime was behind every act of anti-Semitism in Australia.

“It goes without saying that Iran’s actions are unacceptable. They put lives at risk, they terrified the community and they tore at our social fabric. Iran and its proxies lit the matches and fanned the flames,” he said.

The investigation remains ongoing into possible Iranian involvement in other incidents.

Source: news.com.au

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Greek Prime Minister invites Donald Trump to visit Greece

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis spoke with US President-elect Donald Trump on Monday, six days after Trump’s election win. 

GCM students visit the ‘Healthy Mind in a Healthy Body’ exhibition

This exhibition offered students a rare opportunity to explore lesser-known aspects of their ancestral history.

Athena Razos stone faced at final hearing for stealing millions from Melbourne law firm

Athena Razos - a disqualified paralegal who stole nearly $1.6 million from a Melbourne law firm - has appeared in the County Court.