Heritage NSW inspects Paragon Café as emergency works get underway

·

The iconic Paragon Café in Katoomba has taken its first meaningful steps toward preservation following a recent on-site inspection by Heritage NSW, which confirmed that emergency works to secure the property are now in progress.

Officials from Heritage NSW visited the site on Monday, June 30, accompanied by the building’s owner, his project manager, and staff from Blue Mountains City Council.

A spokesperson for the NSW Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water told The Greek Herald that “most actions in the Order had been met, with any outstanding actions to be met by the end of July.”

They added that “physical works have commenced to bring the property within the required standards of maintenance and repair,” while key security upgrades are now complete, protecting the site from trespassing and vandalism.

The inspection follows a formal compliance order issued in early June under Section 120 of the Heritage Act 1977, which required urgent steps to halt the café’s deterioration. The directive gave property owner John Landerer 14 days to secure the building and two months to submit a comprehensive heritage report.

Built in 1916 by Greek migrant Jack (Zacharias) Theodore Simos, the Paragon Café is one of Australia’s most significant examples of Greek heritage architecture, but it has remained closed and in disrepair since 2018. Despite a development application approved in 2020, the site has since become a target for graffiti, vandalism and squatting.

paragon cafe

Photos shared earlier this year by the Friends of the Paragon group revealed shattered windows, broken fixtures, and evidence of drug use inside the historic art deco venue.

Since the June order, works have progressed steadily. The building’s presentation has visibly improved, security systems have been installed, and urgent make-safe works have addressed ongoing rainwater damage.

Heritage NSW says it will “continue to work closely with the owner, Blue Mountains City Council and the Heritage Council of NSW as works progress.” The agency also maintains a regular inspection program to monitor the property’s condition and ensure compliance.

While full restoration is still a long way off, the recent inspection and repairs signal a turning point for the Paragon Café – a treasured landmark of Greek Australian history and the Blue Mountains’ cultural identity.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Power, progress and probing questions at the Greek Community of Melbourne’s AGM

A growing membership, major wins and a healthy dose of dialogue marked the Greek Community of Melbourne’s (GCM) Annual General Meeting (AGM).

The Greek Herald’s exposé on Orthodox funeral certificate up for Walkley Foundation award

The Greek Herald journalist Pamela Rontziokos has been named finalist for the Walkley Foundation’s 2024 Mid-Year Celebration of Journalism.

Alex Hawke MP: New penalties proposed to protect migrant workers from coercive exploitation

The Government has released for public consultation an exposure draft of the Migration Amendment (Protecting Migrant Workers) Bill 2021.