PM rips into ‘hideous’ suggestion elderly deaths preferable to lockdown

·

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has described some media commentary suggesting elderly Australians should be sacrificed to avoid an economically punishing lockdown as “amoral” and “hideous.”

Addressing media today, Mr Morrison scolded a reporter over her news outlet’s purported assertion “that somehow our elderly should have in some way have been offered up in relation to this virus.”

“That is just a hideous thought,” the Prime Minister said, “an absolutely amoral hideous thought.”

In the last 24 hours 19 Victorians have died of coronavirus and 322 new cases were recorded.

“This news is devastating no matter what age COVID affects people, and we just want to reaffirm again our support through every channel we can provide it,” Mr Morrison said.

Communication breakdown in St Basil’s outbreak ‘concerning’:

Mr Morrison also faced questioning on the delay between when Melbourne’s largest aged care outbreak at St Basil’s began and when the Federal Government was informed.

The aged care watchdog knew there had been an outbreak at the St Basil’s facility but failed to raise the alarm, it emerged today.

Aged care regulator Janet Anderson told a parliamentary inquiry last week the watchdog was not aware of the outbreak until July 14.

But, in a letter to committee chair, Senator Katy Gallagher, she has since confirmed the regulator knew on July 10.

Ms Anderson told the committee a St Basil’s representative flagged the positive test during a phone survey which was conducted with every Victorian facility to check their COVID-19 response plans.

“That was brought to my attention today, over the last little while, late yesterday I think it was,” Mr Morrison said.

“You will know that the aged care commissioner is an independent statutory office and operates separately from the Australian government.

“I am concerned about that breakdown in the communications.

“My understanding is that the survey had been conducted and those conducting the survey had formed the view that given the facility was aware of the processes that were required to advise the public health unit in Victoria that they had indeed done that.

“It turns out that that had not been done.”

Mr Morrison said he has confidence in the Federal Government’s handling of the aged care sector’s response to COVID-19.

“We are getting advanced notice when people are doing tests, not when we find out that they’re getting a positive result,” he said. “We’re finding out even before the tests come back.”

Source: Nine News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

IHO NYX brings Greek Rock to centre stage in Sydney this weekend

As Sunday, April 6 approaches, all eyes are on IHO NYX, the band ready to electrify Sydney with a concert dedicated entirely to Greek Rock.

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

You May Also Like

Sylvania Waters boy James Mina charged with drug possession after police raid

23-year-old James Mina was charged with drug possession after a dramatic police raid reportedly found $2300 cash, anabolic steroids and a prohibited weapon.

Remembering Shadow theatre genius Evgenios Spatharis

He was a genuine folk artist, who kept the tradition of Karagiozis alive and attempted to teach it to younger pupils.

Antetokounmpo family biopic ‘Rise’ debuts on Disney Plus

The new Antetokounmpo family biopic Rise debuted last night on Disney Plus and tells the story of their journey from Nigeria to Athens.