Rosemary Franzidis’ husband speaks out as third person charged in relation to fatal crash

·

A third individual has been charged as police continue their investigation into the tragic death of 69-year-old Rosemary Franzidis, who was killed in a high-impact collision when an allegedly stolen Audi crashed into her car. The incident occurred in Murrumba Downs, north of Brisbane, just minutes after Franzidis had attended church mass in Bracken Ridge.

The crash came after a series of car thefts and attempted robberies at gunpoint in the hours leading up to the fatal collision.

Police allege the group involved in the incident first stole a Holden Barina from Northgate, then drove it through several suburbs, threatening women at gunpoint, before stealing the blue Audi from Dohles Rocks Road at Griffin. The Audi, later involved in the crash that killed Franzidis, had been taken under duress in the earlier robbery.

A 21-year-old man from Annerley was arrested on Monday and has been charged with two counts of attempted robbery while in company and armed, one count of robbery in company while armed, and unlawful use of a motor vehicle.

The alleged driver of the Audi, a 16-year-old boy from Caboolture, has been charged with manslaughter and other offences.

Meanwhile, a 35-year-old woman from Caboolture, was arrested on Sunday and charged with armed robbery and unlawful use of a motor vehicle.

Franzidis leaves behind a husband, three daughters and three grandchildren. Photo: 7NEWS.

Despite the grief, Franzidis’ husband, Jean-Paul Franzidis, has said that his wife would have responded with compassion.

“I know a lot of people are angry, but at the moment, I can’t get angry,” he told 7NEWS. “Rose would be praying for that guy right now and all the other kids like him who need to be out of that situation.”

The couple, who had been married for almost 50 years, had been planning a dream holiday to Greece.

“We were planning to go there for her 70th birthday next April but that’s not to be,” Franzidis said.

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up to support Jean-Paul and the family with funeral expenses. Organisers praised the Franzidis family for their longstanding commitment to their community, noting their willingness to always help others.

“They’ve been pillars of our community for years, always there to lend a hand, support others through tough times and spread kindness,” the campaign organisers said.

By Monday night, more than $7,000 had been donated, with the family expressing their deep gratitude for the overwhelming support they have received from strangers.

The investigation continues as the community grapples with the tragic loss of a beloved grandmother and the aftermath of the series of violent crimes that led to her death.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald, 7NEWS.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Victoria Police seek public help to locate Badelis Kotsopoulos

Victoria Police are appealing for assistance in locating 37-year-old Badelis Kotsopoulos, wanted on a warrant for fraud-related offences.

Kouros family farewells old Sydney Fish Market as a new chapter begins

The Kouros family reflects on decades at Sydney Fish Market as it moves from Pyrmont to the new $836m Blackwattle Bay development.

Nick Kyrgios given suspended 16-week ban for meltdown following ATP investigation

Nick Kyrgios has received a 16-week suspension and an additional U$25,000 (A$37,000) fine following an ATP investigation into his Cincinnati meltdown in August. Kyrgios was...