Sydney doctor Thrasivoulos Triantopoulos spared jail for child abuse material charge

·

South-west Sydney doctor Thrasivoulos Triantopoulos has been spared jail time on sentence after he confessed to watching sickening child porn on the internet during all-night binge-watching sessions.

According to The Daily Telegraph, the former Eagle Vale Medical Centre GP spent almost three months in custody following his arrest in September last year, before the NSW Supreme Court granted him strict bail, which included a ban from working in the medical profession.

Triantopoulos subsequently pleaded guilty to a charge of using a carriage service to access child abuse material, which carries a maximum jail sentence of 15 years.

The court heard detectives discovered 1,602 images and videos of child abuse material stored on Triantopoulos’ computer during a raid at his Rouse Hill home. The videos depicted children as young as three years old being sexually abused or posing in various states of undress.

The former Eagle Vale Medical Centre GP has been spared jail time on sentence.

When asked why he viewed the material, Triantopoulos said “because I’m a sick person.”

The court was informed that Triantopoulos had been struggling with excessive alcohol consumption during the time of the incident and was dealing with complex grief disorder following the loss of his 18-year-old son to a degenerative genetic condition in 2021.

Recently, Triantopoulos received a 14-month suspended prison sentence at Penrith District Court. Judge Gallagher ruled against a return to jail.

In her decision, Judge Gallagher determined that Triantopoulos posed a low risk of reoffending.

“I find he has very good prospects of rehabilitation given his prior good character, the time spent in custody and his loss of employment, which has had a salutary effect on him,” she said.

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

British Museum in ‘constructive discussions’ with Greece over Parthenon Marbles

“Constructive discussions” are underway between The British Museum and Greece about Parthenon Sculptures to be retuned back to Athens.

Yorgos Lanthimos teases his next movie with Emma Stone

Yorgos Lanthimos shared insights into his upcoming film project with Emma Stone, titled "Kinds of Kindness," which he is currently editing.

Greek astronomer Ioannis Liodakis receives 2020 Gruber Foundation award

In 2020 Ioannis Liodakis of the Finnish Centre for Astronomy with ESO (FINCA), University of Turku will receive the third fellowship grant.