Newcastle Olympic FC slams Morisson government on ‘corrupt’ sport grants scandal

·

Newcastle Olympic FC director Kosta Patsan has slammed the Morrison government’s community sport grants scheme as being contaminated with “nonsensical graft and corruption”, the Newcastle Herald reports.

The outrage is in response to the federal government’s controversial $100 million Community Sport Infrastructure Grant Program. The government has been accused of allocating funds to sports programs that missed the cut-off date by months.

Mr Patsan appeared on Thursday before a Senate inquiry in Canberra into the so-called sports rorts scandal. The director claims the club’s application met the cut-off date and the program’s criteria. It applied for $500,000 under the program, but missed out.

“We don’t mind if we missed out for very good reasons. What we cannot countenance is … graft and corruption,” Mr Patsan said.

“We are a worthy recipient. We do a lot of good for the community. We got diddled because we’re in a Labor seat and a safe one.”

Application were required to meet a certain criteria, achieving a minimum score of 74 points. Newcastle Olympic scored 76 points.

“The lowest score funded was 39,” ALP Senator Tim Ayres said.

Mr Patsan said the club received a further “kick in the guts” when it realised the government had used images from its application to promote the grants program.

Senator Rice asked Mr Patsan whether he knew the former sport minister Bridget McKenzie had discretion in which grants would be funded.

“If the minister has the discretion to do whatever she likes, you may as well just turn us into another banana republic”, Mr Patsan added.

The club’s $1.3 million plan includes a grandstand and dressing sheds at Darling Street Oval. It had raised $270,000 from volunteers. Newcastle City Council was to match the federal grant. The club said it had been selected as a venue to host training during the 2023 Women’s World Cup.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Cyprus Community of NSW Dance School on a mission to preserve Cypriot culture

Nelly Klavdiou's passion for Greek and Cypriot dance has been a lifelong journey, rooted in her early experiences and cultural heritage.

Tradition served hot at Western Macedonian Brotherhood’s Fasolada Day

The Hellenic Macedonian Cultural Centre in Adelaide was filled with warmth, tradition, and lively celebration on Sunday, August 3.

Archbishop Anastasios of Albania passes away at 95

Archbishop Anastasios of Albania, a revered spiritual leader and humanitarian, has passed away at the age of 95 in Athens.