Greece and Australia welcome Gaza ceasefire 

·

Greece and Australia have officially welcomed the Gaza ceasefire and announced the release of hostages.

Ekathimerini reported that a four-day truce in Gaza, which was facilitated by a Qatar-mediated agreement allowed for the release of 50 captives.

Greece’s Foreign Minister, George Gerapetritis said “I would like to welcome today’s agreement on a humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza and the release of 50 hostages”, in a statement yesterday (22 November).

George Gerapetritis
George Gerapetritis shared that 50 hostages would be released. Photo: Daily Sabah.

Mr Gerapetritis shared that the Greek government had been pushing for a humanitarian pause and the formation of viable humanitarian corridors. 

“In this direction, we had taken all the necessary actions,” said.

Australia’s Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese also followed in the footsteps of the ceasefire in the Middle East.

The Canberra Times shared that Mr Albanese said Australia is “deeply concerned by the conflict in the Middle East”, during an online meeting hosted by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

“Australia has consistently called for the release of hostages, for humanitarian access and for the protection of civilian lives,” he said.

“We have wanted to see the next steps towards a sustainable ceasefire which cannot be one-sided.”

The terrorist group, Hamas has announced a ceasefire will start today on Thursday at 10am (7pm AEDT).

“What we see today is progress towards each of these goals and we welcome it,” Mr Albanese said.

Source: Ekathimerini and The Canberra Times.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Australian Hellenic Council on the Cyprus issue: Turkey’s Erdogan is no friend of Australia

The Australian Hellenic Council has issued a statement on the Cyprus issue, calling on the Federal Gvt. condemn Turkish provocations.

Cypriot Australians gather in Sydney to honour victims of 1974 Turkish invasion

SEKA NSW held a heartfelt memorial and wreath-laying ceremony on Sunday, July 27, to mark the 51st anniversary of the Turkish invasion of

Your guide to celebrating Epiphany 2026 across Australia

Each January, Greek Orthodox communities across Australia gather to celebrate Epiphany, commemorating the Baptism of Jesus Christ.