‘Mini lockdown’ initiated in parts of Greece after country records 287 new Covid cases

·

Authorities have imposed, from today, a ‘mini lockdown’ in Greece’s northern regions to curb the spread of coronavirus.

Specifically, four regional units will be under restrictions, including Pella, Pieria, Western Macedonia’s Imathia and Kilkis in Central Macedonia.

Greece’s Civil Protection Operations Centre said that acting early and in a limited capacity is the right move by authorities, with officials hoping they will be able to contain the disease.

People, some of them wearing face masks against the spread of the new coronavirus, gather on Mykonos, Greece, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020. – Copyright AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis

Deputy Minister of Civil Protection and Crisis Management, Nikos Hardalia listed the following restrictions that will be applied to the municipalities:

  • Any kind of event such as parties, trade fairs, processions, public markets, etc. will be prohibited
  • Any kind of gathering of citizens over 9 people for any reason, both in public and in private, is banned
  • The dining areas can allow a maximum number of 4 people at each table unless they are close relatives, in which case up to 6 people are allowed.
  • Use of masks both outdoors and indoors will be mandatory

The measures will be in force for a period of two weeks – between 11 September and 25 September.

Greece’s health authorities announced 287 new coronavirus cases and three more deaths on Friday evening. The total infections reached 12,734 and death toll 300.

READ MORE: Royal Melbourne Hospital staff sing ‘I’ll Stand by You’ in tribute to healthcare workers
READ MORE: Greece reports 372 new coronavirus cases, highest daily tally so far

One day after the daily coronavirus cases in Greece broke an all time record, authorities announced that the number of Covid-19 patients in intubation is increasing.

“The number of intubated patients is of concern,” Epidemiology Professor and spokesman of the Health Ministry, Gkikas Majiorkinis, said during a live briefing on Friday.

The spokesperson also expressed his concern of an “over-spread of the virus at local level.”

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Meet the new generation of Greek youth shaping the future of Hellenism in Canberra

The GOCCC Emerging Leaders (GEL) Committee 2025 is a hand-selected youth subcommittee made up of dedicated young individuals.

Hellenic Kids returns this month with three days of culture and fun

This April, children from Kindy to Year 6 are invited to dive into the Hellenic Kids Activities Program, running from 15 April to 17 April.

Coalition pledges $2 million to upgrade Heidelberg United Alexander FC facilities

The Coalition has recently announced a $2 million funding commitment to Heidelberg United Alexander Football Club.

HACCI National Federation holds online event on Greek-Australian trade relations

HACCI National Federation marked a milestone with its inaugural online event ‘Bridging Markets: Greece-Australia Trade Insights’ on March 20.

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

You May Also Like

Lachlan Ilias signs with St George Illawarra Dragons for two seasons

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced the signing of Lachlan Ilias on a two-year deal. Read more here.

Indian Hellenism: Bactria and the Indo-Greek Kingdom

The Indo-Greek Kingdom is arguably the most fascinating of all the Hellenistic Kingdoms, initially emerging from the Greek-Bactrian Kingdom.

Greece to receive extra EU funding for two migration programs

Greece will receive an additional 42.2 million euros in funding from the European Union for two migration programs.