UEFA pledges support to end violence and corruption in Greek soccer

·

President of UEFA Aleksander Ceferin says it has agreed to help Greece overhaul its professional leagues to curb violence and corruption.

Ceferin met with Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis on Tuesday and signed a seven-page agreement to provide assistance to the Greek Football Federation.

“UEFA will produce within three months from signing this declaration of intent, a holistic study for the improvement and upgrade of Greek professional football,” the document, seen by The Associated Press, said.

The study, it said, will include “tailor-made proposals” to restructure the league organization, respond to violence and “defamatory statements,” and safeguard the “integrity of the game to combat the threat of match-fixing, corruption, and doping.”

Successive governments have struggled for decades to contain violence surrounding Greece’s game, caught between the powerful influence of club owners and UEFA rules that do not allow direct government interference in the sport.

Greece’s Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, left, receives a gift from UEFA President Aleskander Ceferin, during their meeting in Athens, Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2020. (AP Photo/Petros Giannakouris)

The recent introduction of overseas referees for major games and VAR technology has been credited with improving the quality of the league. But the changes have failed to eliminate match-related violence, attacks against referees, and ongoing allegations of corruption.

The prime minister last month warned he was willing to request expulsion of Greece’s teams from European competition and even suspend the league unless major clubs sign up to the reform plan.

“We have taken a decision to clean up Greek football for good and we are very much looking forward to your assistance in this process,” Mitsotakis told Ceferin. “Greeks are very much in love with the sport and, frankly, what we’ve seen doesn’t do justice to the product that we have.”

Ceferin, who was joined in Athens by FIFA vice president Greg Clarke, said he was glad to receive assurances that the government would provide only a supporting role in the reforms.

“We are glad that the government is joining this common effort,” Ceferin said. “I do think that football will solve (the problems) by itself — but with our help.”

Sourced by: Associated Press

greek film festival sydney new

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Let’s Go Greek Festival receives $10,000 grant from Parramatta Council

The City of Parramatta Council in Sydney has awarded the Let's Go Greek Festival a $10,000 grant to go towards the community event in 2024.

Melina Aslanidou concert moves to Enmore Theatre due to popular demand

The Melina Aslanidou concert on March 16 has been moved from the Factory Theatre in Marrickville to the Enmore Theatre due to popular demand.

Woman fined €300 for laying flowers at Polytechnic site, despite holding valid permit

The woman says sent an SMS with code option for personal exercise, and held an exit permit form for her work.