Tsitsipas serves up souvlaki for bushfires

·

A souvlaki named after Hellenic tennis hero Stefanos Tsitsipas is back on the menu at a Melbourne restaurant during the Australian Open, with 100 per cent of sales going to bushfire relief.

The CBD eatery will re-launch the “Tsitsipas Souvlaki” on Friday, with proceeds going to the Country Fire Authority and Wildlife Victoria.

Stalactites restaurant has already donated $10,000 to the organisations but wanted to do more.

“We approached Stefanos a few weeks ago and asked him if he’d be interested in us bringing back the Tsitsipas souvlaki to raise money for bushfire relief and he just loved the idea,” restaurant managing director Nicole Papasavas told AAP.

“Last year I think we sold about $16,000 worth of the souvlaki in two weeks so we’re hoping to match that, or even beat that, this time.”

The restaurant had approached the 21-year-old Greek gun last year to create a souvlaki following his stunning four-set win over Roger Federer in the fourth round of the Australian Open.

It had only bestowed the honour once before – naming a slow-cooked lamb souvlaki after Greek Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis during his fairytale run to the 2006 Australian Open final.

Tsitsipas went for a more modern take on the classic, picking lamb, tomato, tzatziki, pomegranate, fresh basil and mint, crumbed feta, chips and a touch of chilli for his souvlaki.

Ms Papasavas said the restaurant has been delivering Greek food to Tsitsipas and his family since they arrived in Melbourne earlier this week.

“He’s very strict with what he can eat leading up to the Australian Open but the rest of the family aren’t. Their first order was the Tsitsipas souvlaki,” she said.

The world No.6 played in the Australian Open’s Rally for Relief on Wednesday when superstars including Novak Djokovic, Federer, Rafael Nadal and Serena Williams helped raise $4.8 million for bushfire relief.

Australian Associated Press

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

Stefanos Tsitsipas storms into Paris Masters next round

Stefanos Tsitsipas defeated opponent Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-3 and 7-6 (4) at Rolex Paris Masters tournament on Wednesday.

EU to ban entry of all non-residents in attempt to control COVID-19 crisis

All non-essential travel to the European Union will be blocked in an attempt to prevent the coronavirus pandemic from further spreading across Europe.

THI Australia announces final grants from Winter Appeal for Greece

The Hellenic Initiative Australia has awarded Winter Appeal grants totalling almost AU$50,000 to two Greek charities, Together for Children and Wise Greece.