Panathinaikos and Partizan to clash with NBL clubs in Australia for historic tournament

·

The National Basketball League (NBL) will be hosting the Pavlos Giannakopoulos Tournament which will take place outside of Europe for the first time.

Panathinaikos BC AKTOR and KK Partizan will travel to Australia in September for an experience basketball fans will never forget.

“This is an extraordinary moment for the NBL and basketball fans in Australia,” NBL Director, Nikola Milivojevic said. 

“To have two of Europe’s biggest teams competing in a tournament of this calibre, along with two of the biggest clubs in Australian basketball, the Sydney Kings and Adelaide 36ers, is not only a reflection of the NBL’s growing global reputation, but underlines the increasing level of passion and interest Australians have for the game.

“This once in a lifetime event enhances the strong relationship the NBL has formed with the two EuroLeague clubs Panathinaikos and KK Partizan. To be hosting the Pavlos Giannakopoulos Tournament is a huge honour, and we can’t wait for fans to experience it.”

The teams will first play each other on Thursday the 18th September, at John Cain Arena, before competing in a four-team tournament with the Sydney Kings and Adelaide 36ers on Sunday the 21st and Monday the 22nd at Qudos Bank Arena in Sydney. 

“We’re extremely excited to see the Kings and 36ers represent the NBL against two EuroLeague powerhouses,” NBL Owner and Executive Director, Larry Kestelman added.

“We’d like to sincerely thank Panathinaikos and KK Partizan for their friendship and support, and for trusting the NBL as partners for the 7th edition of their prestigious tournament.”

Last year’s event took place at the iconic Panathenaic Stadium in Athens, and this year’s promises to be as electric.

“We are proud to bring the legacy of Panathinaikos and the memory of Pavlos Giannakopoulos to Australia. This tournament marks a major step in our global journey, honouring a visionary who shaped our club’s modern identity,” Panathinaikos AKTOR BC President, Vassilis Parthenopoulos said. 

“We thank the NBL for their warm welcome and partnership, and we’re honoured to collaborate with Partizan Belgrade.

“This initiative holds cultural importance, allowing us to connect with the Greek diaspora in Australia. Through basketball, we celebrate unity, pride, and the shared values that define Panathinaikos.”

Panathinaikos president
Panathinaikos AKTOR BC President, Vassilis Parthenopoulos, at a press conference in Sydney, Australia today. Photo copyright: The Greek Herald.

“We are extremely happy for the opportunity to present our club and European Basketball to Australian fans,” BC Partizan President, Ostoja Mijailović said.

“Along with Panathinaikos, our goal is to expand our community and strengthen fan bases within Australia. The connection between BC Partizan and Australian fans is already strong, having Australians like Dante Exum, Alex Maric, Nate Jawai and Jock Landale at BC Partizan squad through the years.
 
“We look forward to meeting all Australian basketball fans and showing them what we’re all about, and we also look forward to reconnecting with our expatriates and those with Serbian heritage who we hope will come out in strong support.”
 
Pre-registration for tickets is now open here, with those who sign up early given priority access on Monday, 19 May. General public tickets will go on-sale on Thursday 22 May.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Andy Ferrara named among Adelaide’s young chefs shaping the future of dining

Adelaide’s emerging culinary stars are making waves across South Australia’s best restaurants. Among those recognised is Andy Ferrara.

Greece ranks second worldwide for Blue Flag beaches

Greece has once again secured its place among the world’s top beach destinations, ranking second globally with 624 Blue Flag beaches.

You May Also Like

AHEA Hellenic Studies Awards to present an estimated 120 awards to educators and high-achieving students

On Tuesday 11 February 2020, the Australian Hellenic Educators’ Association of New South Wales-Australian Capital Territory-Queensland will be presenting the 26th Hellenic Studies Awards.

Greek voice silenced in Canterbury as George Houssos’ council ballot victory overturned

There will be no Greek voice in the Canterbury-Bankstown Council elections after George Houssos' preselection ballot victory was overturned.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.