Nick Kyrgios fuming as world No.1 Jannik Sinner avoids doping ban

·

Nick Kyrgios has condemned the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) for clearing Italian tennis player Jannik Sinner of any wrongdoing after testing positive twice for illicit substances earlier in the season.

According to the ITIA, World No.1 Sinner provided an in-competition sample at the Indian Wells Masters on March 10 which contained a small amount of a metabolite of clostebol.

A further sample, conducted eight days later out of competition, also tested positive for low levels of the same metabolite.

Clostebol is an anabolic agent prohibited at all times by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

jannik sinner

The ITIA attributed the presence of the steroid to an inadvertent contamination from Sinner’s physiotherapist, who had used an over-the-counter spray containing clostebol when giving the tennis player a massage.

While Sinner has been cleared of any wrongdoing, he will be stripped of his results, prize money and the 400 ranking points he accumulated at Indian Wells. He was also successful in appealing his inability to compete and as such will continue with the tour.

Kyrgios took to X to express his frustration with this controversial verdict.

“Ridiculous – whether it was accidental or planned. You get tested twice with a banned (steroid) substance… you should be gone for two years. Your performance was enhanced. Massage cream…. Yeah nice,” Kyrgios said.

In response, Sinner issued a statement on X.

“I will now put this challenging and deeply unfortunate period behind me,” the statement read.

“I will continue to do everything I can to ensure I continue to comply with the ITIA’s anti-doping programme and I have a team around me that are meticulous in their own compliance.”

Source: The Advertiser.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

Greece backs plan for migrant deportation hubs beyond EU borders

Greece is collaborating with Germany, the Netherlands, Austria and Denmark to establish deportation centres in third countries.

Greek constitutional law giant Antonis Manitakis dies aged 82

Prominent constitutional law professor and former minister Antonis Manitakis has passed away at the age of 82.

Greece tables bill for overseas postal voting

A draft law allowing Greeks living abroad to vote in parliamentary elections by post has been tabled by Interior Minister Thodoris Livanios.

You May Also Like

Shootout victory sees South Melbourne take glory against rivals Melbourne Knights in FFA Cup

South Melbourne FC secured the victory spoils against long-time rivals Melbourne Knights after a nail-biting 4-1 penalty shootout victory.

Greek sprinter Athanasios Ghavelas makes gold medal history at Paris Paralympics

Greek sprinter Athanasios Ghavelas has won back-to-back gold medals in the 100m (T11) race at the Paris Paralympics.

George Houvardas: new role on ABC’s Frayed and why he refuses to play the Greek stereotype

Best known for his role as Carbo on ‘Packed to the Rafters’, George Houvardas has returned to the screen with the ‘Frayed’ series on...