Mitch Georgiades and Port Adelaide teammates avoid fines for suspected COVID breach

·

Rising AFL talent Mitch Georgiades and his Port Adelaide teammates got off scot-free on Friday after an AFL investigation cleared the players of a potential breach of COVID-19 protocols at the Australian Olympic swimming trials.

Swimming Australia have in place a Covid policy forcing spectators wear a mask while seated unless eating or drinking.

Zak Butters, Mitch Georgiades, Ollie Lord and Dylan Williams were seen in Adelaide on Thursday night enjoying the exciting swimming trials, yet a photo spotted the players not wearing the required masks.

Assisting the AFL in their investigation, the players claimed they had just finished eating and provided the AFL with credit card receipts that included the times they bought the items.

Mitch Georgiades (right) after the round five win over Carlton. Picture: AFL Photos

They were also captured taking selfies with fans at the event wearing their masks.

An AFL spokesman said although the players had recently finished eating when they were on TV, they acknowledged they should have put their masks back on more promptly.

“The AFL has asked Port Adelaide to provide further education to all players and officials at the club about following the appropriate guidelines in place for whatever event or establishment they may be visiting in their own time,” he said.

READ MORE: AFL ‘Rising Star’ nominee Mitch Georgiades says he’s found new home at Port Adelaide

The Port Adelaide General Manager of football, Chris Davies, said their masks were placed on their laps at the time.

“Once they had finished eating and drinking they put their masks back on as required,” Davies said.

“The aquatic centre confirmed today they had COVID officials at the event last night and at no point did they request for our players to put their masks back on.

“The players involved voluntarily sent their credit card statements to the AFL today to ensure the timing coincided with when they were captured in that photo.”

Georgiades last month reaffirmed his commitment to Port Adelaide, saying it was the “best thing for me to get out of Perth and experience life elsewhere. Port Adelaide is home for me.”

“All the boys and staff, the whole community, have made me feel welcome and I have loved every minute of it.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Kiki Tsakaldimi: The first Greek woman who attempted to conquer Mt Everest

Kiki Tsakaldimi, the fisrt ever Greek woman to attempt to climb Mt Everest, talks to The Greek Herald about her journey to the top.

Pythagoras Greek School brings culture to life with March celebrations

Students, families and staff of Pythagoras Greek School came together this March to celebrate key moments in the Greek calendar.

Prespa Agreement signatories call on North Macedonia to respect deal

Former prime ministers of Greece and North Macedonia, Alexis Tsipras and Zoran Zaev, called on North Macedonia to respect Prespa Agreement.