‘State of emergency’ not over on Evros border, Minister says

·

Citizens’ Protection Minister Michalis Chrysochoidis on Monday joined his Defence counterpart Nikos Panagiotopoulos on a visit to the Greek-Turkish border area of Evros.

The minister stressed that despite the departure of thousands of migrants and refugees from the Kastanies crossing, the “state of emergency” is not over.

“We are back at the Kastanies border post in order to assess the situation,” Panagiotopoulos said after being briefed by the chief of the National Defense General Staff, Konstantinos Floros.

Read More: Migrants moved from Greek border amid coronavirus pandemic

Read More: Fire breaks out in migrant camp at Turkey-Greece border as tents are burnt down [Video]

“We also has the opportunity to talk with the leaderships of the armed forces and the Hellenic Police on the local level, with the people who carried out their mission of guarding the border, of managing to maintain their impregnability from the surprise push of Clean Monday, and, of course, to plan our next moves,” Panagiotopoulos added.

Panagiotopoulos, however, said that “the state of emergency has not ended,” adding that the armed forces “remain vigilant.”

“We are at the beating heart of European solidarity,” he said, hailing the support of EU member-states to the Greek effort.

He also announced that an existing fence at the border would be extended to cover more areas that are vulnerable.

“Migrants will return to Evros when pandemic is over,” Turkey minister threatens

Turkey‘s Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu has threatened Greece and Europe that the migrants would return to Evros border once the coronavirus pandemic is over. The removal of migrants from the border last week “did not amount to a change in policy,” Soylu told NTV.

“When this epidemic is over we would not prevent whoever wants to leave,” Soylu said.

The migrants have reportedly been taken to migration centres in nine provinces.

The migrants were evacuated by bus to facilities where they would be in quarantine for two weeks to make sure they have not been infected with the coronavirus.

State-run Anadolu Agency said that some of the migrants asked to be moved, while others had to be convinced.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC to face Auckland FC in historic OFC Pro League final

South Melbourne FC will face Auckland FC in the historic inaugural OFC Pro League final on Sunday at Eden Park.

Cretan community commemorates Battle of Crete with gala event in Sydney

The Cretan Association of Sydney and NSW filled Sydney with Cretan music, remembrance and celebration during its annual dance evening.

Sydney’s Pontians honour genocide victims through prayer, art and remembrance

Members of three Pontian associations in NSW gathered in Sydney on Tuesday, May 19 to commemorate the victims of the Greek Genocide.

Filli Kaoullas: The Australian powerhouse connecting Cyprus to the world

Filli Kaoullas embodies the modern Cypriot diaspora story — one defined by migration and an unwavering devotion to heritage and philanthropy.

Sydney’s Born To Bake Greek wins national small business award

Born To Bake Greek has been named Australia’s Best Cake Shop and Patisserie at the 2026 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

You May Also Like

Greece’s emergency procedure for potential coronavirus outbreak revealed

Specific measures, which will come into force if Greece possesses a case of the coronavirus, have been announced by government spokesman Mr Stelios Petsas.

Remembering George Antoniou: A lifetime of service to the Greek Australian community

The Greek Australian community is mourning the loss of much-loved George Antoniou, who passed away on 19 July 2025 at the age of 98.

Thousands of guests danced the weekend away at Perth Glendi Greek Festival

Last weekend was one of happy festivities as Greeks across Western Australia flocked to Perth to celebrate the annual Perth Glendi.