NSW Teachers Federation to take ‘whatever action is necessary’ to secure promised pay rise

·

NSW Teachers Federation warned it was prepared to take “whatever action is necessary” to ensure the government upheld an agreement to give teachers and principals a 2.28 per cent pay rise in January, Sydney Morning Herald reports.

NSW Teachers Federation president Angelo Gavrielatos said the union will consider “all options” to defend their members’ rights, not ruling out industrial action.

“We’re demanding that the agreement be honoured. We’re not negotiating anything. We have an agreement,” NSW Teachers Federation president Angelo Gavrielatos said.

WATCH: Angelo Gavrielatos speaks exclusively with The Greek Herald on the current hardships faced by teachers

Gavrielatos is joined by the NSW Nurses and Midwives Association (NSWNMA), whose public sector union pay agreements end on June 30.

If the government continues with this wage freeze, NSWNMA general secretary Brett Holmes said the option of industrial action would be a matter for the branches.

NSWNMA general secretary Brett Holmes. Photo: NSW Nurses and Midwives Association

“We can’t really rule anything out,” NSWNMA general secretary Brett Holmes said.

“Should the government proceed with this, I have no doubt our members will be very frustrated.”

Mr Holmes said the union would not “trade off our wages for jobs” and accept a pay rise lower than the 2.5 per cent cap – the maximum amount public sector wages can increase each year.

“Why would you ask those hardworking nurses and midwives to pay out of their wages to keep the rest of the service going. That shouldn’t be a question asked of them,” he said.

Treasurer Dominic Perrottet revealed last month he had been developing a cabinet proposal to halt public servants’ pay rises for 12 months, yet says the government has not yet made a decision on its wages policy.

“Of the 4.1 million people employed in NSW, 90 per cent are employed in the private sector and many of these people are facing the prospect of massive pay cuts and job losses,” he said.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Greece’s Prime Minister says terror attacks on Israel cannot be ignored

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis says terrorism must be met with retaliation in Israel after Hamas' attack.

Insight or Perspective: “Greek films are a good way for children to learn the language”

"Who doesn't love a film full of songs, dance and fun with the all-time favourite Greek star, Aliki Vougiouklaki," writes Eleni Elefterias.

US Secretary of State urges Turkey not to convert Hagia Sophia into mosque

US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, has urged Turkey to let the former Byzantine cathedral of Hagia Sophia remain a museum and not be changed into a mosque.