Erdogan telephone calls reportedly ‘put through directly’ to the White House, under order of Trump

·

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called his US counterpart Donald Trump as often as two times a week and was “put through directly” to the US president, according to a new CNN report.

Sources told reporter Carl Bernstein that Erdogan was allegedly “put through directly to the President on standing orders from Trump.”

Top officials in the Trump administration were reportedly especially concerned about how often Erdogan called and how easily he went past the usual National Security Council protocols and procedures to reach the US President.

Erdogan reportedly would even reach Trump while he was at his golf course, and the president would pause his games to have lengthy chats with him. Erdogan would ask Trump for policy concessions and favours, according to CNN.

“The calls caused former top Trump deputies – including national security advisers H.R. McMaster and John Bolton, Defence Secretary James Mattis, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, and White House chief of staff John Kelly, as well as intelligence officials – to conclude that the President was often ‘delusional,’ as two sources put it, in his dealings with foreign leaders,” Bernstein wrote in the CNN report.

Trump, the report alleges, had very little knowledge on the Syria crisis and the history in the region, that Erdogan was able to easily take advantage of him.

“Erdogan took him to the cleaners,” one of the sources told Bernstein.

The report claimed that the calls with Erdogan were a major reason for Trump’s order to pull US forces from Syria.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Ecumenical Patriarch honoured with 2025 Templeton Prize in New York

Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew received the 2025 Templeton Prize at a ceremony in New York City on Wednesday, September 24.

FIFA recommends all international matches cancelled as Euro 2020 approaches

Uefa has called an emergency meeting for Tuesday to discuss the possibility of postponing Euro 2020, after Fifa recommended that all impending internationals should be called off.

Efrosini Stefanou-Haag reflects on her career as Head of St Spyridon College

Mrs Efrosini Stefanou-Haag retired last week, from her position as Head of St Spyridon College after nearly two decades of service.