Greece’s Prime Minister sends message of solidarity to Vienna

·

Several people have been killed in a terror attack in central Vienna and at least one gunman remains on the run, Austria’s Interior Minister has told a news conference.

At least two people have been killed and several injured during an attack in the Austrian capital on Monday night.

Among the two confirmed dead was one of the attackers, who was shot dead by police.

Police cars block a street near Schwedenplatz in Vienna. Photo: Reuters/Leonhard Foeger.

Austria’s Interior Minister, Karl Nehammer, told ORF a manhunt was underway for the “heavily armed and dangerous” attackers.

“We have brought several special forces units together that are now searching for the presumed terrorists,” he said.

“I am, therefore, not limiting it to an area of Vienna because these are mobile perpetrators.”

In response, Greece’s Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, has sent a message of solidarity to people in Vienna on Twitter this morning, adding “Europe stands united against terror.”

“Shocked by the horrific attacks in #Vienna. I have conveyed to Austrian Chancellor, Sebastian Kurz, our full solidarity,” Mitsotakis wrote.

“Our thoughts are with the people in Vienna and the authorities dealing with the situation. Our hearts, with the victims and their loved ones.”

Attack happened as people enjoyed last night out before lockdown:

Police said offenders armed with rifles had fired shots from six areas near the Seitenstettengasse synagogue about 8.00pm Monday local time.

Vienna Mayor, Michael Ludwig, said 15 people had been hospitalised, seven of which were suffering serious injuries.

Police said an officer was among the injured.

Austrian Chancellor, Sebastian Kurz, added on Twitter that the Army would protect sites in the capital so police could focus on anti-terror operations.

“We are currently experiencing difficult hours in our republic,” Mr Kurz wrote on Twitter.

“I would like to thank all the emergency forces who are risking their lives for our safety, especially today. Our police will take decisive action against the perpetrators of this repulsive terrorist attack.”

Vienna police have confirmed that their operation in the centre of the city was ongoing and they urged people to avoid all open spaces and public transport.

Police also warned locals not to share videos or photos of the ongoing police operation, to avoid endangering officers.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

Cyprus Community of NSW shifts to renewal with landmark youth succession plan

The Cyprus Community of NSW has entered a new phase of renewal, launching an ambitious succession plan and governance framework.

Tributes flow for South Melbourne legend Michael Mandalis

Tributes are pouring in for Michael Mandalis, the South Melbourne Hellas icon and five-time Championship winner, following his passing.

Norwood Greek Festival 2026 celebrates legacy and a landmark funding commitment

The Norwood Greek Festival returned in 2026 for its 14th celebration, transforming the grounds of Prophet Elias Church into a panigiri.

Canberra marks World Greek Language Day with diplomacy, culture and community

The Embassy of Greece in Australia, in partnership with the Greek Orthodox Community and Church of Canberra (GOCCC).

You May Also Like

The Greek Revolution and New Perspectives

Growing up in Australia as a 2nd generation Greek Australian in the 70s and 80s, I had a limited knowledge as to what Greek Independence Day.

‘Make time for yourself’: Dr Yiotoula Sotiropoulos for Women’s Health Week 2022

To mark Women's Health Week, Dr Yiotoula Sotiropoulos, a General Practitionerfrom the Sydney suburb of Bexley, spoke to The Greek Herald.

Greek and Egyptian Foreign Ministers reaffirm commitments during talks in Athens

Greek Foreign Minister George Gerapetritis welcomed his Egyptian counterpart, Badr Abdelatty, to Athens on Wednesday, August 6.