Turkish Cypriot leader reiterates ‘two-state solution’ stance during Australia visit

·

During a visit to Sydney over the weekend, the Turkish Cypriot leader of the illegitimate “Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus” (TRNC), Ersin Tatar reiterated his stance on the necessity of a two-state solution to the Cyprus issue.

Tatar spoke at the opening of a festival marking the 80th anniversary of the Turkish Cypriot presence in Australia.

Referring to the failure of the last federal solution attempt in Crans-Montana in July 2017, Tatar said, “The primary reason for the failure to achieve a solution based on equality for over 50 years is the inequality itself. The internationally recognised Greek Cypriot side does not want to share the administration and resources of the island with the Turkish Cypriots.”

He also expressed his pride in the cultural and traditional preservation efforts by the Turkish Cypriots in Australia.

Tatar arrived in Australia on Wednesday, May 22 to much fan fare from the local Turkish community. His first stop was in Melbourne, Victoria before travelling to the Australian Capital Territory to pay a visit to the Turkish Embassy and lay a wreath at the War Memorial.

He said the aim of his visit was to meet and embrace “our wonderful and resilient people who have settled here since the 1940s.”

So far, Tatar has not had any official meetings with politicians or government representatives.

Tatar’s arrival comes amid tensions with the Cypriot Australian community.

Since the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974, 37% of the territory of the Republic of Cyprus fell to the Turkish military. The north unilaterally declared its independence on 15 November 1983 under the name of the TRNC.

Tatar calls himself the “President” of the TRNC – a territory that is not recognised by any country except Turkey.

The SEKA Victoria Committee has written a letter to the State Premier, Jacinta Allen and the Victorian Minister for Environment Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events, Steve Dimopoulos to request they ignore the upcoming visit of Turkish-Cypriot politician, Ersin Tatar to Melbourne on Wednesday, May 22.
The SEKA Victoria Committee has written a letter to the Victorian Government requesting that they ignore the visit of Turkish-Cypriot politician, Ersin Tatar.

SEKA Victoria – the Justice for Cyprus Co-ordinating Committee – sent a letter to the state Premier, Jacinta Allen on Tuesday, May 21 to request they ignore Tatar’s visit.

In the letter, President of SEKA Victoria Pavlos Andronikos said it would be “totally inappropriate for any Victorian Minister or Government official to meet with Tatar,” and explained that Greek and Cypriot Australians were distressed by his visit.

“We believe that the purpose of Tatar’s visit is to push for recognition of the illegal “Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus”,” Mr Andronikos said.

The letter concluded by calling on the Victorian Premier to issue a statement making it clear the state government will not engage with Tatar during their visit, and to show their support for the Federal Government’s position on the TRNC.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Greek Olympians go viral in Paris for lifting parked cars out of bus’s way

Greece's men's water polo team have gone viral at the Paris Olympics for their strength in an unexpected arena.

Greek PM rejects two-state deal for Cyprus, says ending ‘Turkish occupation a priority’

Greek PM, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, said that the long-established federal formula is the only way forward in Cyprus reunification talks.

Thousands of Cypriot descendants entitled to march in Sydney on ANZAC Day 2026

On April 25, Australia will commemorate the 1915 ANZAC landings on a peninsula known in antiquity as Kallipolis, meaning "Beautiful City."