Turkey sends new drill ship to eastern Mediterranean

·

Turkey’s President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, inaugurated the country’s newest and largest undersea hydrocarbon drill ship on Tuesday and said it was heading northwest of Cyprus in the eastern Mediterranean.

Erdogan said the Abdülhamid Han drillship would operate 55km off Turkey’s coast in an area within the country’s sovereign territory.

“The survey and drilling work we are conducting in the Mediterranean are within our sovereign territory. We do not need to receive permission or consent from anyone for this,” he said at a ceremony to launch the ship in Turkey’s coastal Mersin province.

This is the first time since September 2020 when Turkey withdrew their Yavuz drill ship from contested waters, that the country will be sending a drill ship to the eastern Mediterranean.

News of the drilling late last month, prior to the precise location being known, was met with disapproval from Greek and Cypriot officials, with Cyprus’ Foreign Minister, Ioannis Kasoulides dubbing it “a crescendo of harsh and provocative rhetoric” from Ankara.

Speaking at the launch ceremony, Erdogan made an apparent reference to Greece, Cyprus and their Western allies.

“Neither the puppets nor the ones who hold their strings will be able to prevent us from getting our rights in the Mediterranean,” he said.

Greek government spokesperson, Giannis Oikonomou told reporters on Tuesday that Athens is monitoring the situation carefully.

“We need to be vigilant … We’ve always been doing what we have to do to have stability in our region and to fully defend international law and our own sovereign rights,” Oikonomou said.

Turkey’s three other drilling ships: Fatih, Kanuni and Yavuz are currently conducting operations in the Black Sea where Turkey discovered natural gas reserves. All four ships are named after Ottoman sultans.

SOURCE: AP NEWS

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

#MeTinSofia: Wave of support to Olympian sailing star after sex abuse revelation

Her claims, which sparked a social media firestorm, have been seen as a belated #MeToo moment after decades of silence by sex abuse victims.

Secretary of the Greek Orthodox Community of NSW Michael Tsilimos passes away

The President and Members of the Board of Directors of the GOCNSW, share in the mourning for the late Michael Tsilimos.

NSW Government leaders hail multilingualism at gala dinner

The annual dinner of the NSW Federation of Community Language Schools took place with many officials and guests.