Trump pauses most global tariffs but hikes China rate amid market volatility

·

US President Donald Trump has announced a 90-day pause on his new “reciprocal” tariffs, just hours after they were imposed on imports from dozens of countries.

All trading partners—excluding China—will now face a baseline 10% tariff rate instead of the higher rates unveiled during last week’s “liberation day” announcement.

However, Trump simultaneously escalated tariffs on Chinese goods, increasing them to 125% effective immediately.

China had earlier declared its own tariff hike on US imports to 84%, up from 34%, set to take effect Thursday, April 10.

Trump said the temporary pause was prompted by outreach from more than 75 countries seeking negotiations and by their lack of retaliation.

“I thought that people were jumping a bit out of line… they were getting a little bit yippy, a little bit afraid,” he said.

The surprise move marks another twist in the escalating trade war, which has rattled global markets and diplomatic relations.

It came just days after the White House dismissed reports of a planned pause as “fake news.”

Markets responded swiftly and positively. The S&P 500 surged 9.5%—its biggest one-day gain since 2008—while the Nasdaq rose 12.2%, its second-largest session jump on record.

Trump acknowledged the market’s influence, saying, “The bond market right now is beautiful… I saw last night where people were getting a little queasy.”

Australia, already subject to the minimum 10% tariff, will see no change, though sector-specific duties like those on aluminium and steel remain.

Planned retaliatory tariffs from the EU have also been put on hold, pending implementation.

“Nothing’s over yet,” Trump said. “But we have a tremendous amount of spirit from other countries, including China. China wants to make a deal. They just don’t know how quite to go about it.”

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called the tariff strategy a “successful negotiating tactic,” adding, “We are expecting [our allies] to come with their best deal.”

Source: ABC.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Sydney Greek schools smash top 150 rankings in 2020 HSC

Congratulations to the students of St Spyridon, St Euphemia and All Saints Grammar for their incredible results!

44th Greek Festival of Sydney set to take over Darling Harbour this Sunday

The Greek Festival of Sydney returns to Darling Harbour this Sunday with food, music, dance, family activities and a headline performance.

Chalmers rejects RBA warning over budget spending plan

Jim Chalmers has dismissed concerns that planned cost-of-living relief in the upcoming federal budget could fuel inflation.