Train crash wreckage cleared as Greece seeks EU rail funds

·

The final sections of wreckage from a deadly train crash last week at Tempi in northern Greece were cleared by recovery crews on Monday.

Heavy construction machinery was used to move remaining parts of shattered rail cars at Tempi, where 57 people were killed in the February 28 crash. Twelve people remain hospitalised with injuries, five of them in serious condition.

Wreckage is being cleared at the crash site. Photo: AMNA.

According to Ekathimerini, one of the victims was identified on Monday as a 33-year-old man from Bangladesh, after his family came forward via a lawyer. Until now, it had not been possible to identify his body as there had been no comparative DNA sample.

The 33-year-old had been working in Greece for the last 10 years selling costume jewellery and had visited Athens for work when he was caught up in the train collision.

Greece seeks help from European Union:

Amid this deadly tragedy, the Greek government has requested assistance from other European governments to modernise safety procedures on the nation’s relatively limited rail network.

In a Twitter post on Monday, European Union Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said she had spoken with Greece’s Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis about how the bloc can provide support.

The EU leader said experts from the EU Agency for Railways would visit Greece this week to help.

“Rail safety is paramount,” von der Leyen said in her tweet.

Widespread protests held in Greece:

Anti-government protests erupted across Greece after the train crash, including a rolling strike by rail workers that has shut down the network.

According to Reuters, rail workers will be joined by government workers, teachers and students on Wednesday for a major day of protest.

On Monday, protesters placed empty chairs with red carnations outside the Greek Ministry of Transport, and held placards reading “Our lives matter” and “Murderers.”

A boy lights a candle outside a court in Larissa city on Sunday, March 5, 2023. Photo: AP Photo/Vaggelis Kousioras.

Relatives of victim testify in court:

Family members of two people who died in the rail collision testified before the investigating Larissa prosecutor on Monday.

Earlier, a 59-year-old station manager was charged with negligent homicide and was jailed late Sunday pending trial.

This comes as the head of the Larissa Appeals Court Prosecutors’ office, Stamatis Daskalopoulos, on Monday officially requested that the Larissa Appeals Justices’ Council convene in full to decide on the appointment of an appellate-level examining magistrate to investigate the Tempi rail crash, due to the seriousness of the case.

Source: AP News, Reuters, Ekathimerini.

READ MORE: Greek communities in Australia send condolences after Greece’s deadly train crash

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece moves to secure rare photos of Nazi execution in Athens

Rare photographs believed to show the final moments of 200 Greeks executed by Nazi forces in 1944 have surfaced online.

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

You May Also Like

From child refugee to maths teacher at Melbourne High School for 50 years

Saki George Ganella OAM tells The Greek Herald that his journey from war ravaged Greece to Melbourne Boys High School was "meant to be."

Mariana Papaioannou joins Multicultural Arts Victoria Board in landmark year of change

Multicultural Arts Victoria (MAV) has welcomed Mariana Papaioannou, acclaimed media producer and photographer, to its Board.

Labor candidate for Hughes quits race due to Greek citizenship concerns

Local teacher, Peter Tsambalas, has withdrawn from the Federal race for Hughes over section 44 citizenship concerns.