‘They are men’: Dr Ioannis Filippatos weighs in on Olympic boxing gender row

·

Dr Ioannis Filippatos, former chairman of the International Boxing Association’s (IBA) medical committee, has weighed in on the gender controversy surrounding Algeria’s Imane Khelif and Taiwan’s Lin Yu-ting at this year’s Paris Olympics.

Dr Filippatos spoke during a farcical press conference on Tuesday morning alongside IBA’s Russian chief Umar Kremlev and CEO Chris Roberts, where they attempted to clarify why his association threw out Khelif and Yu-ting from their World Championships last year.

The press conference descended into chaos amid technical errors, language barriers and raised tempers.

Kremlev said that two independent sex chromosome tests prompted the disqualification of the two women from the 2023 World Championships – a decision that has not been upheld by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

The first test was in May 2022 and a laboratory in Istanbul found “inconsistencies.” A further test was carried out eight months later at the World Championships at which point the IBA declared the two fighters ineligible to fight in the women’s competition.

The IBA held a press conference in Paris Monday, where its president, Umar Kremlev, appeared via video.
The IBA held a press conference in Paris on Monday, where its president, Umar Kremlev, appeared via video. Dr Ioannis Filippatos sits on the left.

“The tests show they were men,” Kremlev said. “We don’t verify what they have between their legs. We don’t know if they were born like that, or if some changes were made.”

Dr Filippatos added that “the medical result, blood result, looks – and the laboratory says – that these boxers are male.”

IOC president Thomas Bach and high-level officials from Algeria and Taiwan have strenuously defended Khelif and Lin, saying they were born and raised as women, and have passports saying that.

The IOC has said that both Khelif and Lin, who were registered as women at birth and held passports as females, were eligible to compete in Paris.

Both Khelif and Lin have guaranteed themselves medals at the Olympics, with IOC eligibility rules in place for Paris 2024 after Games bosses stripped the IBA of the right to run the competition over corruption and governance issues.

Source: The Washington Post.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Helena Paparizou to feature in special ‘Eurovision: Europe Shine A Light’ show

Helena Paparizou, winner of the Eurovision Song Contest 2005, will be giving a special performance at this year's Eurovision: Europe Shine A Light show.

Greek olive oil excels with koroneiki and flavoured oils

The 2023 EVOO World Ranking (WR) listed 12 Greek extra virgin olive oils (EVOOs) among the world’s top 100

Soccer day unites Cretan youth at 44th Cretan Federation Convention

The Cretan Youth of Australia and New Zealand held its annual soccer sports day on Monday, January 5. Read more here.