Sydney Roosters Chairman Nick Politis fires back at Vegas referee dispute allegations

·

Sydney Roosters chairman and billionaire businessman Nick Politis has hit back at claims he confronted a referee in Las Vegas, as the NRL’s integrity unit investigates allegations made by match official Mitchell James.

James filed a complaint against Politis, Roosters director Mark Bouris, and an unnamed coaching staff member over an alleged incident at the Las Vegas Nines tournament last month.

The official claims he was approached by the Roosters executives after their affiliated team, the LA Roosters, suffered a controversial loss in the quarter-finals.

Politis dismissed the accusations, stating, “It is a shame this has been raised after our club went to so much trouble to support the NRL in Las Vegas.”

He further highlighted the Roosters’ $500,000 investment in the LA Roosters and their commitment to expanding the game in the United States.

Mark Bouris responds to NRL inquiry into alleged confrontation also involving Nick Politis
Nick Politis (right) and Mark Bouris (second from left) in Las Vegas last month. Photo: Instagram.

Criticising the officiating, Politis said, “The penalties were 8-nil against us – it’s very hard not to say something. I told the referee that his performance was poor but at no stage did we swear or act aggressively.”

Bouris also refuted the allegations, insisting, “Neither of us swore or were aggressive. No abuse, no confrontation, no swearing.”

James, who claims he spent $7,000 of his own money to officiate at the tournament, said he was later removed from an international match between the USA and Greece “in his best interest” before returning to Australia. He has since questioned his future in refereeing, citing frustrations over spectator abuse towards officials.

The integrity unit’s investigation is ongoing, with Politis and Bouris maintaining that they have done nothing wrong.

“I trust the NRL will look at all the facts and find that we have no case to answer,” Politis said.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

‘Very humbled’: Eirini Alligiannis wins Best Female Director at the Carpe Diem Film Festival

Eirini Alligiannis has won Best Female Director and Best Documentary at the Carpe Diem Film Festival for 'Louie Gasparro: Five Points.'

Beloved Greek actor Nikos Galanos dies aged 79

Nikos Galanos, one of the most beloved faces of Greek cinema and television, has passed away after a year-long battle with cancer.

Pontoxeniteas NSW set to launch 45-year celebrations of the Pontian House

Pontoxeniteas NSW will host a series of special events celebrating 45 years of the Pontian House in Earlwood, Sydney.