‘State of emergency’ not over on Evros border, Minister says

·

Citizens’ Protection Minister Michalis Chrysochoidis on Monday joined his Defence counterpart Nikos Panagiotopoulos on a visit to the Greek-Turkish border area of Evros.

The minister stressed that despite the departure of thousands of migrants and refugees from the Kastanies crossing, the “state of emergency” is not over.

“We are back at the Kastanies border post in order to assess the situation,” Panagiotopoulos said after being briefed by the chief of the National Defense General Staff, Konstantinos Floros.

Read More: Migrants moved from Greek border amid coronavirus pandemic

Read More: Fire breaks out in migrant camp at Turkey-Greece border as tents are burnt down [Video]

“We also has the opportunity to talk with the leaderships of the armed forces and the Hellenic Police on the local level, with the people who carried out their mission of guarding the border, of managing to maintain their impregnability from the surprise push of Clean Monday, and, of course, to plan our next moves,” Panagiotopoulos added.

Panagiotopoulos, however, said that “the state of emergency has not ended,” adding that the armed forces “remain vigilant.”

“We are at the beating heart of European solidarity,” he said, hailing the support of EU member-states to the Greek effort.

He also announced that an existing fence at the border would be extended to cover more areas that are vulnerable.

“Migrants will return to Evros when pandemic is over,” Turkey minister threatens

Turkey‘s Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu has threatened Greece and Europe that the migrants would return to Evros border once the coronavirus pandemic is over. The removal of migrants from the border last week “did not amount to a change in policy,” Soylu told NTV.

“When this epidemic is over we would not prevent whoever wants to leave,” Soylu said.

The migrants have reportedly been taken to migration centres in nine provinces.

The migrants were evacuated by bus to facilities where they would be in quarantine for two weeks to make sure they have not been infected with the coronavirus.

State-run Anadolu Agency said that some of the migrants asked to be moved, while others had to be convinced.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Victoria Police constable Nektarios Parissis on working with multicultural communities

Leading senior constable Nektarios ‘Nick’ Parissis says Melburnians were often “stunned” to come across a Greek police officer.

Chilling detail in footage linked to Mount Waverley double murder case

Footage appears to show a man carrying a stake and a yellow jerry can less than two hours before the deaths of a Mount Waverley couple.

Greek Australian Society elects first female President

The Greek Australian Society held its first meeting of the newly-elected Board, electing its first female President, Ellie Stamatelatos.