Samos immigrant Christopher Nickles’ grandchild solves 80-year gravesite mystery

·

Samos-born immigrant Christopher Nickles’ cemetery plot has been discovered and restored at the Martyn St Cemetery in Cairns almost a century after his burial. 

Mr. Nickles’ granddaughter Bev Starrenburg recovered Christopher’s grave earlier this year with her husband Nick and says she was adamant on solving the mystery. 

“We knew he was buried in Martyn St Cemetery but we could never find it,” Mr. Starrenburg tells Courier Mail.

“All we could do was guess.” 

“Then at Easter (this year), we were wandering around looking at the grave markers. As we were doing it a tractor drove past driven by a cemetery worker named Ben and he invited us down to the office and we looked at these really old documents.”

A Cairns Post funeral notice for Christopher Nickles published in August 1941 (Source: Courier Mail)

Mrs. Starrenburg determined that there was a major mix-up six months after her grandfather was buried in August, 1941. 

Mr Nickles was buried without a plaque or headstone, leaving his family confined to the restraints of newspaper articles and fruitless assumptions about his resting place. 

On Sunday, Mr Nickles’ descendants across Queensland installed a plaque at the head of the tailor’s grave. 

“We really wanted to honour him, he was a good father and soldier. There was so much tragedy in his life and for 80 years he laid there in an unmarked grave,” Nick Starrenburg says.

Mr. Nickles emigrated from war-torn Greece to Innisfail in 1917. 

He worked as a master tailor in the School of Arts building on Lake Street in Cairns before marrying an Australian woman named Elizabeth in 1924. They raised four children – Edna, George, Elizabeth, and Terrance – through the Depression and the early war years. 

“It was a real struggle, they fought for their freedom and all he wanted was to be an Australian. And then he dies like that and I think it was really sad how his wife struggled to raise the four children.

“He is not forgotten, to me that is the most important thing, 80 years later.”

Source: Courier Mail

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

Paul Nicolaou urges action on delayed Barangaroo Central project

Nicolaou urges faster action on delayed Barangaroo Central project, warning continued setbacks risk hurting business confidence in Sydney.

Burwood tower approved beside Greek Orthodox Saint Nectarios church in Sydney

A controversial 39-storey tower has been approved beside Sydney’s historic Greek Orthodox Saint Nectarios church in Burwood.

Greece tourism season faces uncertainty despite strong 2026 outlook

Middle East tensions and rising fuel costs are beginning to cloud Greece’s 2026 tourism outlook, despite optimism from Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

Cyprus warns Turkey’s ‘Blue Homeland’ law threatens regional stability

Nikos Christodoulides has called for a European response to Turkey’s proposed ‘Blue Homeland’ maritime law.

You May Also Like

Greece joins US-led coalition to counter Yemen rebel attacks in Red Sea

Greece is set to deploy a warship to bolster a naval coalition led by the United States in the Red Sea, joining the fight on Yemen's Houthis.

Eight-year-old Greek piano prodigy lights up Temple of Olympian Zeus

Eight-year-old Greek piano prodigy Stelios Kerasidis has dazzled guests once again, this time in front of Athenians at Temple of Olympian Zeus.

Arthur Sinodinos: US perceives Australia as a strong ally after stand against China

Australian Ambassador to the US, Arthur Sinodinos, has today discussed the future of the US-Australia alliance during a digital conference.