Qantas fined $250,000 for illegally standing down Theo Seremetidis 

·

Qantas has been fined $250,000 and convicted for illegally standing down former worker, Theo Seremetidis during the pandemic after he raised concerns about the risk of COVID-19 to staff cleaning aircraft from China.

Seremetides, who was an elected health and safety representative at the time employed by subsidiary Qantas Ground Services (QGS) at Sydney International Airport, was sidelined in early 2020.

NSW District Court Judge David Russell last year found the airline engaged in discriminatory conduct, accepting that Seremetidis was unfairly kept cut off from other staff who were seeking his help.

Qantas last week agreed to pay Seremetidis $21,000 for economic and non-economic loss.

Former QANTAS cleaner, Theo Seremetidi leaves the Downing Centre District Court, John Madison Tower, Sydney, Friday, November 3, 2023. Photo: AAP/Dean Lewins.

Today, Judge Russell ordered that QGS be convicted and fined $250,000, finding that the conduct involved significant culpability and was deliberate rather than inadvertent.

“The conduct against Mr Seremetidis was quite shameful,” the judge said.

Half of the fine was ordered to be paid to the prosecutor.

The NSW Minister for Work Health and Safety Sophie Cotsis has welcomed the landmark conviction and fine of Qantas.

“As a first principle no Work Health and Safety rep should be stood down for doing their job,” Ms Cotsis said.

“I greatly appreciate the work that the TWU has done to support workplace health and safety. I am also very pleased SafeWork took the initiative in this case to ensure the rights of Health and Safety reps were protected.

Sophie Cotsis. Photo: Bianca De Marchi/AAP Photos.
Sophie Cotsis. Photo: Bianca De Marchi/AAP Photos.

“Let this case stand as a warning, not just to Qantas but to all employers, not to discriminate against their health and safety reps.

“Given this was a first-of-its-kind case, the New South Wales Government will take time to review the outcome.”

In a statement a Qantas spokesperson said the airline accepted the penalties.

“We agreed to compensation for Theo Seremetidis and the court has today made orders for that compensation to be paid,” the spokesperson said.

“We acknowledged in court the impact that this incident had on Mr Seremetidis and apologised to him.”

Source: ABC

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Akrothalassa Festival: A triumph of Pontian culture, cuisine and tattoos in Victoria

Pontians are known for their passion, strong work ethic, and joy of life. All three were on display when Pontians flocked to Rye Foreshore.

Damon Hanlin issues defamation warning ahead of Sydney Olympic AGM

Damon Hanlin has issued a defamation concerns notice ahead of the club’s AGM, escalating ongoing tensions.

Greek Australians among the 472 athletes to represent Australia at Tokyo Olympics

Six Greek Australians have been named among the 472 athletes representing Australia at the Tokyo Olympics this year.