ICAC hears Canada Bay mayor Angelo Tsirekas allegedly took bribes by property developers

·

The Mayor of Canada Bay, Angelo Tsirekas, helped property developers fast-track applications in exchange for overseas flights and accommodation, a corruption inquiry has heard.

NSW’s Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) is probing allegations Mr Tsirekas abused his position and failed to disclose conflicts of interest.

On the first day of hearings on Tuesday, counsel assisting Jamie Darams said Mr Tsirekas created a network of developers and professionals to help a series of projects clear his own council’s planning hurdles.

Assisting counsel Jamie Darams at the ICAC hearing. Picture: ICAC.

According to ABC News, the network allegedly involved developers I-Prosperity, Billbergia and Prolet, advisor Joseph Chidiac, real estate agent Francesco Colacicco, accountant Frank Bruzzano, former town planner David Furlong and City of Canada Bay Council’s general manager Gary Sawyer.

On Tuesday, the ICAC heard evidence involving Mr Tsirekas and Chinese developer I-Prosperity, which proposed building a 400-unit apartment block on Marquet Street in Rhodes in 2016.

Chief commissioner Peter Hall heard claims Cr Tsirekas accepted several developer-funded trips to Shanghai and Lebanon, following a series of approvals by the now-liquidated iProsperity Group.

Angelo Tsirekas. Photo: Facebook / City of Canada Bay.

The hearing into allegations surrounding Mr Tsirekas is expected to continue for four weeks. 

In response, a spokesman for Canada Bay Council told The Sydney Morning Herald the Mayor had been granted a leave of absence “for personal reasons” for the duration of the hearing.

Mr Tsirekas later told the Herald he had not made any further decisions about his role “at this stage.”

“I’m proceeding, I’m going forward and defending myself, and we’ll leave it at that,” he concluded.

Source: ABC News and The Sydney Morning Herald.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

George Skemperis assumes role as new Consul General of Greece in Sydney

The new Consulate General of Greece in Sydney, George Skemperis, officially assumed his duties on August 20.

‘It didn’t just affect him, it affected all of us,’ says son of Battle of Crete ANZAC

Peter Ford remembers the war stories his father, Fred (Frank) Ford, shared with him, raw memories etched with pain, loss and survival.

Sydney pro fighter Kayla Nassis inspires young women to take a swing at fighting

The Sydneysider from Cronulla is a pro Muay Thai fighter and told The Greek Herald her fighting journey began when she was only 13 years old.