Political turmoil erupts in Greece over Tempi tampering allegations

·

A storm of controversy has erupted following allegations of tampering with audio recordings related to the tragic Tempi railway disaster

Dubbed “The montage in Tempe casts new shadows on tragedy” by the Vima on Sunday newspaper, the report alleges that recordings between railway employees were manipulated to shift blame onto the Larissa station master for the disaster that claimed 57 lives.

Government officials swiftly denied these claims, asserting that complete sets of unaltered recordings exist from the fateful night. They argue that the newspaper’s assertions are not groundbreaking, as some media outlets had previously highlighted discrepancies in the transcripts shortly after the incident. The government further emphasised that the station master had already confessed to his role in the events.

The Citizen Protection Ministry, which has oversight over the police, said that its “service did not make a transcript for the case in question.”

The Tempi train accident took place on March 2, 2023. Sakis Mitrolidis/AFP via Getty Images.

New Democracy said that the “tactic of misleading headlines to create impressions is extremely dangerous.”

However, opposition parties point to the fact that the edited conversations were leaked to media on March 1, 2023, a day before they were handed over to the judicial authorities.

Main opposition SYRIZA said that “the new revelations about the attempt to cover up the crime of Tempe by the New Democracy government… have caused revulsion,” adding that the government faces “relentless questions” over the affair.

The SYRIZA party has called for elections as a decisive measure to resolve the country’s political crisis. However, they have also thrown their weight behind the PASOK party’s proposal to table a vote of no confidence against the government.

Opposition parties have condemned the government’s handling of the situation, with Nikos Androulakis of PASOK labeling the incident a “continuous crime.”

The Communist Party of Greece (KKE) has pledged its support for the proposed vote of no confidence, citing ongoing criticism of the government’s policies. Additionally, the Greek Solution party has also declared its backing for the motion.

With indications suggesting that the constitutional threshold of 50 members required for such a proposal will be surpassed, the stage is set for a heated debate in parliament. According to constitutional rules, once a no-confidence motion is submitted, discussions must commence within two days, with a vote expected within three days.

Sources: Ekathimerini and To Pontiki.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

Greek and Serbian police to launch joint summer patrols in tourist hotspots

Greek and Serbian authorities will team up for joint patrols this summer in popular tourist destinations across Greece, officials announced.

Parliamentary first as FIFA Oceanic Professional League honoured in Victoria

A historic milestone for Australian and Pacific football was marked at the Victorian Parliament on Thursday, February 19.

You May Also Like

12-year-old Gezel stuns coaches on The Voice Australia

12-year-old Gezel Bardossi stunned all four coaches on The Voice Australia with her singing performance on Monday night.

Kon Karapanagiotidis calls for support to save Victoria’s Asylum Seeker Centre

The Founder and CEO of Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC), Kon Karapanagiotidis OAM, has announced the organisation's Victorian office is at the risk of closure due to a decline in donations since July 2022.

Greek island on lockdown after worrying Covid-19 outbreak

The Greek island of Poros went into a full lockdown on Friday, running through to August 17, after 13 people were diagnosed with the coronavirus.