Petsios family in crisis over delayed tomato virus test results

·

Peter and Oriana Petsios, owners of the SA Tomato business, are facing a potential $100,000 fine due to delays in virus testing, despite their best efforts to comply with strict quarantine regulations.

According to The Advertiser, their business was already shut down in August after tomato brown rugose fruit virus was found in a client’s greenhouse, leading to the destruction of $1.3 million worth of plants.

In November, after receiving national approval to resume operations, the Petsios family set out to deliver 106,000 seedlings to a Victorian client, Katunga Fresh.

However, despite repeated communication with the SA Department of Primary Industries and Regions (PIRSA), only one of the required virus test results had been returned by the time the truck arrived on December 16.

Mr Petsios had reminded PIRSA of the impending deadline but received no warning about potential issues with the testing. When the truck departed without official approval, a PIRSA official called to say the departure was not approved because of the pending test results.

Photo: Growing Produce.
SA Tomato was already shut down in August after tomato brown rugose fruit virus was found in a client’s greenhouse. Photo: Growing Produce.

Mr Petsios expressed deep frustration, fearing that if the shipment was delayed, Katunga Fresh could sue him for breaching the contract.

“This is probably as low a point that we’ve ever felt,” Mr Petsios told The Advertiser.

He now faces the possibility of a fine for breaching quarantine restrictions, despite following all protocols to the letter.

PIRSA has since acknowledged the breach but stated that the plants did not contain the virus, with the final test results arriving on December 18.

Opposition spokeswoman Nicola Centofanti criticised the government for inadequate support to growers, highlighting the delays in testing as a major issue for the industry.

Source: The Advertiser

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Hellenic Initiative Australia provides $90,000 grant to Doctors of the World Greece

Hellenic Initiative Australia will collaborate with Doctors of the World Greece to provide access to public health services for the disadvantaged in Athens.

SA grape grower Michael Stivahtaris counts his losses amid frosty weather

Wine grape growers said they have suffered crop losses due to unseasonable frosts, which are expected to persist.

Albanese unveils new Cabinet: Plibersek demoted, Rowland named Attorney-General

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has announced a major cabinet reshuffle following Labor’s landslide election victory.