Peter V’landys defends gambling practices and criticises parliamentary inquiry

·

Peter V’landys, the influential head of Racing NSW and chairman of the NRL, has responded to recent discussions about gambling regulation, defending the average bet on NRL games as modest and arguing that proposed changes to betting incentives could harm punters.

V’landys, known for his outspoken views, pointed out that the average wager on NRL matches is just $16 and claimed that proposals to ban bookies offering free bets would only lead to punters losing more of their own money. The comments come in the wake of a parliamentary inquiry into gambling, led by the late Labor MP Peta Murphy, which recommended sweeping changes to gambling advertising and inducements.

The inquiry’s report, You Win Some, You Lose More, called for a three-year phase-out of gambling ads, a ban on inducements like free bets or credits, and a levy on online gambling companies to fund harm reduction efforts. V’landys, however, dismissed these recommendations as being driven by ideological views rather than evidence. While he acknowledged that certain gambling advertisements might need to be reduced, he argued that the overall findings of the inquiry were misguided.

“I should have stressed it was on all the recommendations,” V’landys told The Australian Financial Review on Monday, admitting he had been too focused on the gambling ban aspect without addressing the full package of proposed changes. He specifically criticised the proposed ban on gambling inducements, arguing that these were not harmful, but rather “generosities” similar to retail offers like “buy one, get one free.” Removing them, he claimed, would only result in punters losing more of their own funds, as these offers were a way to encourage continued play without additional financial risk.

Photo: News Corp Australia.

An industry source also backed this view, stating that these “generosities” were essential for betting apps to remain competitive, as the odds are often the same across platforms. However, government sources have suggested that banning inducements will not feature in the official response to the inquiry, but instead will be looked at in collaboration with state and territory governments. The response is expected by the end of the year.

Communications Minister Michelle Rowland has proposed a blanket ban on social media gambling ads, but her plans do not extend to television advertising. Under her proposal, TV ads would be limited to an hour before and after live sports broadcasts, with no more than two ads per hour until 10pm. This proposal has drawn criticism from both the gambling industry and sporting organisations, which argue that it is too restrictive. At the same time, reform advocates, including the Greens and independent MPs, have called on the government to adopt a full ban on gambling ads, in line with the inquiry’s recommendations.

During a recent appearance at the 40th Asian Racing Federation Conference, V’landys also discussed his vision for the future of horse racing. He expressed a desire to use mobile apps and “gamification” to attract younger audiences, particularly teenagers. He cited the success of the English Premier League and the US National Basketball Association in engaging young people and lamented that horse racing lacked the “tribalism” that has helped other sports build loyal, long-term fanbases.

“The challenge for racing is to get to where other sports are: attacking the 14-year-olds,” he said, highlighting the importance of making the sport appealing and entertaining without relying solely on gambling.

V’landys’s remarks on gambling regulation continue to spark debate, with the issue of how to balance harm reduction and industry growth remaining at the forefront of the ongoing discussion.

Source: Financial Review.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Cretan Association of Sydney & NSW’s Paniyiri at Peats Ridge set to return

The much-loved Cretan Paniyiri at Peats Ridge in the Central Coast region of New South Wales is set to return this year on Saturday, February 18.

Coronial inquest into aged care deaths begins in Victoria after death of Michael Karonias

A coronial inquest is underway in Victoria to examine the deaths of eight elderly aged care residents, including Michael Karonias.

Book collaboration between Australian and Greek universities launched at Acropolis Museum

The launch of the book entitled Language and Freedom of Expression was held at the Acropolis Museum on Saturday, 19 November.