Paul Anastassiou to lead inquiry into Queensland’s ‘broken’ child safety system

·

Former Federal Court judge Paul Anastassiou KC will lead a sweeping 17-month commission of inquiry into Queensland’s child safety system, which the state government says is failing vulnerable children despite a $1.12 billion annual cost.

Announced on Sunday, the inquiry follows troubling revelations of sexual exploitation in residential care and unsupported foster carers.

Premier David Crisafulli said the probe was essential to reform a system affecting 12,500 children in care. “There is no coincidence that we have a broken child safety system and a youth crime crisis in this state,” he said.

Anastassiou was deliberately chosen for his experience outside Queensland. His appointment comes amid growing concerns over the reliance on for-profit residential care providers, some of which received tens of millions in state funding while delivering substandard care.

Child Safety Minister Amanda Camm cited alarming findings that justified a full, independent investigation, saying, “This is about a generation of children that… has been failed by a broken child safety system.”

The announcement coincided with the 2024 Children in Care Census, which revealed:

  • 40% of children have a diagnosed or suspected mental illness
  • 44% have self-harmed
  • 22% have attempted suicide

One notable case revealed $4.5 million had been spent on a single child in residential care through the Individual Placement Support (IPS) model, compared to just $35,000 spent on their foster care.

Camm said the former Labor government overused the IPS model, initially intended as a temporary solution. She promised stronger oversight, stating that some for-profit providers were now “formally on notice.”

The inquiry will also investigate how permits were granted to operate such services and the role of state departments in managing public funds.

While Labor has pledged to cooperate, Shadow Treasurer Shannon Fentiman criticised the terms of reference for not addressing why so many children are entering care, citing COVID-era surges and a lack of early intervention.

PeakCare CEO Tom Allsop and Queensland Family and Child Commission CEO Luke Twyford both welcomed the inquiry, urging bold reform and greater focus on prevention and early support.

“This review process should be the time for a bold rethink… and how we use public money to deliver lifelong change,” Twyford said.

Source: ABC.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Wildfires still ravaging Rhodes as others erupt on Corfu and Evia

Firefighters fought overnight to contain 82 wildfires across Greece, including on the islands of Rhodes and Corfu.

Andrew Liveris on his big plans for the Brisbane Olympics 2032

The new boss of the 2032 Brisbane Olympic Games, Andrew Liveris, has opened up about his big plans for the iconic event.

Turkey’s President repeats call for ‘two-state solution’ to Cyprus problem

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan continues to repeat calls for a 'two-state solution' to the Cyprus problem.