NSW Nationals MP Chris Gulaptis to retire after over a decade in politics

·

NSW Nationals MP, Chris Gulaptis, has announced his intention to retire in a statement after more than a decade in state parliament.

Mr Gulaptis said the decision to not seek re-election for the seat of Clarence at the next state election in March 2023 was “exceptionally difficult,” but it has been “an absolute honour” to help improve the lives of people in regional NSW.

“I have given everything I have to this role – my heart, my energy, my passion – and whilst there have been some turbulent times, I have loved every minute of it,” the Nationals MP said.

“That said, I feel now is the right time to retire. Now is the time for renewal and for someone else to take my place.”

Mr Gulaptis first entered politics in November 2011 and in his inaugural speech to NSW Parliament at the time, he explained how he never imagined becoming an MP would be in “his destiny” as a young boy growing up in Perth in the 1960s with Greek migrant parents.

“It was during my early years working as a graduate surveyor in the eastern goldfields of Western Australia that I came to love the honesty of the bush — both the people and the landscape,” Mr Gulaptis explained.

Since then, Mr Gulaptis has served as a parliamentary secretary for key portfolio areas affecting the regions including Agriculture, Forestry, Regional Roads and Regional Planning.

In 2020, he created chaos within the Coalition when he threatened a move to the crossbench to protest against a new koala protection policy.

Chris Gulaptis.

Mr Gulaptis is also credited with the construction of a second Grafton bridge and securing the funding for the construction of Australia’s largest prison under his watch.

In his statement, the Clarence MP thanked his family, friends and the people of his electorate for supporting him over the years.

“You have been my driving force and have inspired me to serve you every day and for that I will be eternally grateful,” he said.

NSW Deputy Premier, Paul Toole, thanked Mr Gulaptis for his service.

“His legacy will be evident for decades to come for anyone driving along the North Coast — an upgraded Pacific Highway that has saved hundreds of lives,” Mr Toole said.

“And better health facilities, including securing funding for a major redevelopment of the Grafton Base Hospital.”

The Legislative Assembly District of Clarence has 57,016 electors and occupies an area of 13,492 square kilometres. It includes the city of Grafton and the major towns of Yamba and Casino.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

Fronditha Care staff member tests positive to COVID-19

On Friday, 10 July 2020, a staff member of Fronditha Care's St Albans residential aged care team tested positive for coronavirus.

Oakleigh Grammar’s Tim Hines named a ‘Rising Star’ in Australia

Tim Hines, an English teacher at Oakleigh Grammar, has been recognised as one of the best educators in Australia under 35.

Nick Kyrgios remains hopeful about Australian Open participation

Nick Kyrgios has revealed he will avoid serving for the next few days to give himself the best chance of being fit for the Australian Open.