Mykonos: Party island turned coronavirus hotspot

·

Parties, beach and now, coronavirus. Mykonos, one of Greece’s biggest party islands, is feared to be the new epicentre of a Greek coronavirus spike.

The island saw a slow rising spike last week after a popular beach bar, Alemagou, was shut down by Greek authorities last Thursday. It was confirmed that seven staff members tested positive for the virus, with infection fears for guests of the beach bar.

More than 80 people have been told to isolate in their residences regardless of their test results, according to local media.

Psarrou beach, Mykonos, July 2019. Photo: Peter Oglos/The Greek Herald

This COVID-19 outbreak isn’t the first for the popular beach bar, however, with the bar also closing for 60 days back in June after owners were caught disobeying safety regulations.

Rave parties and large gatherings are feared to be potential breeding grounds for the virus, with almost no social distancing taking place on the party island.

Read More: Greek beach named safest post-COVID beach in Europe

The mayor of Mykonos, Konstantinos Koukas had requested the health teams visited the island amid mounting concern over safety violations at bars and nightclubs.

“The protection of public health is not only a duty but is the necessary precondition for maintaining the good image of the country and of the island internationally,” said Mr Koukas.

Last week the country’s Civil Protection Minister ordered increased inspections of bars and nightclubs after a party at a private villa drew more than 200 people. Police say the crackdown will intensify ahead of the peak summer season.

Locals and tourists have recently been subject to spot tests by officials from the country’s public health organisation.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Kytherian Association of Australia set to officially launch their centenary celebrations

The Kytherian Association of Australia will officially launch its 100th anniversary celebrations on March 26 at the National Maritime Museum.

New data shows Greeks face deepening poverty, among worst in the EU

New Eurostat data reveals that 26.9% of Greece’s population—about 2.74 million people—is at risk of poverty or social exclusion.

Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne visited the Acropolis on official trip

Marise Payne met with Greek Minister of Culture and Sports, Lina Mendoni, at the Acropolis during her official visit to Greece on December 8.