Locals in Northern Greece set hotel on fire to prevent resettlement of refugees

·

Protesting locals in Northern Greece set fire to a hotel which refugees relocated from island camps were supposed to be housed in, Greek authorities said on Wednesday.

Police said 150 protesters prevented buses carrying 57 refugees, brought to the mainland from Moria camp on Lesbos island, from reaching a rented hotel at a village in the northern region of Pella, and set fire to a room on the hotel’s ground floor.

No injuries or arrests were reported. Greece’s COVID-19 lockdown only allows public gatherings of up to 10 people, who must observe social distancing.

The buses were rerouted to another village in the Pella region, where protesters had set up roadblocks to prevent their entry. The group was eventually driven to the northern city of Thessaloniki, where they were put up in a local hotel.

Smaller protests also occurred at a hotel in the northern region of Kilkis, where 250 refugees from Lesbos were being taken to. Those protests were short-lived, however, and the migrants were housed in the facility which already accommodates other refugees, authorities said.

Greece’s government has vowed to ease massive overcrowding in refugee camps on the eastern islands, where tens of thousands of migrants and refugees live, and has begun moving some to the mainland.

Due to lockdown measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus, new arrivals on the islands from the nearby Turkish coast are not allowed into the camps.

So far no coronavirus cases have been confirmed in the island camps, although two refugee camps on the mainland were put under quarantine due to local outbreaks.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

NZ Defence Minister praises enduring friendship forged on Crete in 1941

NZ Defence Minister Chris Penk has marked the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign.

You May Also Like

Jury deliberations commence in rape trial of ex-NT Police assistant commissioner Peter Bravos

Mr Bravos pleaded not guilty to two counts of sexual intercourse without consent and is on trial in the Darwin Supreme Court.

GALANNI: The globally renowned couture brand that started in a small Greek village

Galanni's Lenna and Catherine Vasilas talk to The Greek Herald about fashion, how the Galanni brand began, and how it all originated in Lamia, Greece.

Parramatta Council and Lysicrates Foundation launch ‘James Martin’ storytelling competition

Students have been invited to put pen to paper to tell the true story of someone they admire or know who has become their own success story.