Kos Samaras on why the Indigenous Voice to Parliament referendum failed

·

On Saturday, 14 October, the results of the Indigenous Voice to Parliament referendum were released and the chance to recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the constitution was voted against.

ABC News indicated results of more than 60 per cent of Australians voting ‘NO’ towards giving Indigenous communities a voice in parliament.

Former Labor strategist and RedBridge pollster, Kos Samaras, said the biggest reason why the referendum failed was due to a lack of clarity.

“[The Yes campaign] were relying on techniques that were really suited to people who are super engaged with regards to this referendum and living in the inner parts of our cities,” Mr Samaras told ABC News.

“People voted no because they have not engaged with the referendum, and [didn’t] have enough information.

“It was a communication problem that was created by the Yes campaign so [the No campaign] didn’t have to do anything.”

Kos Samaras
Kos Samaras said “People voted no because they have not engaged with the referendum, and [didn’t] have enough information.” Photo: Peter Healy.

Mr Samaras claimed that the prominent slogan “If you don’t know, vote no” seemed to stick with many Australian voters.

“[The No Campaign] just basically capitalised on the lack of information,” he said.

The former Labour strategist said the YES campaign failed to engage effectively with diverse communities.

“Newly arrived migrants who had just enrolled to vote, if they needed information in their own language, that wasn’t present,” Mr Samaras said.

“The No campaign did not win this referendum. It was the Yes campaign that lost it.”

This referendum result has caused a drastic divide between the cities and regional Australia with support for the Voice.  

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

Rose and Jim Chronis’ Dulwich Hill Chicken Shop named in Sydney’s Good Food guide

Good Food has released its guide to Sydney's best takeaway chicken and on the list is Rose and Jim Chronis' Dulwich Hill Chicken Shop.

The Block winners Steph and Gian sell Bexley home for almost $2 million

Last year’s winners of The Block, Steph and Gian Ottavio, have sold their renovated home in Sydney's Bexley for $1,825,000.

Chris Lucas launches Grill Americano in Melbourne’s CBD

Chris Lucas is making waves in the Melbourne food scene again with the launch of his new Italian inspired restaurant, Grill Americano.