Greek Community of Melbourne praises ‘exceptional results’ from Greek students in 2020 VCE

·

The Greek Community of Melbourne has praised the exceptional results achieved by Greek students in this year’s Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) and Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL).

For another year, Greek students from schools in the E.K.M excelled in the Modern and Ancient Greek VCE exams, scoring impressive results.

In Modern Greek, 75 percent of students scored above 30 (average score), 56 percent scored above 35, while a very high percentage of 18.9% achieved a score above 40. The above percentages are without the grading of the course (scaling).

Among the students who excelled are Anastasia Typou (Αναστασία Τύπου), who achieved a score of 47 out of 50, and the Evanthia Katsouli (Eυανθία Κατσούλη), who achieved a score of 45 out of 50, also without scaling.

In Ancient Greek, 40 percent of students achieved a grade above 42 with the grade subsidy, while the remaining 60 percent achieved grades between 30-38.

Specifically, Evanthia Katsouli, scored 44 out of 50 in Ancient Greek, which after the grade subsidy is 50/50.

The pride for the performance of the Greek Community of Melbourne students was expressed by the Community Schools Coordinator, Mr. Manos Tzimbragos.

“Continuing a long tradition, our team, students, and teachers have shown that they can achieve wonderful results even under very adverse conditions such as those imposed by the pandemic this year,” Mr Tzimbragos said.

“I am very excited about the results. Warm congratulations to our children for their dedication, zeal and incredible adaptability they showed in the new conditions, but also to our teachers who managed to inspire and support their students in their difficult and challenging journey to knowledge.”

Vice President of the Greek Community of Melbourne, Mr. Theodoros Markos, made the following statement:

“In education, as in life itself, travel is what matters. And when it comes to studying Greek, we are glad that a large number of our students decided to make this trip with the VCE”

“In a year in which we were all confronted with a new reality, where a new regularity had to be created overnight, our students and teachers showed us the way. We are proud of what you have achieved and we urge you to continue the journey of life with the same vigor and passion that you have shown throughout 2020!”

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

AHEPA NSW marks 90 year anniversary with grand celebration

AHEPA NSW Inc marked its 90th anniversary with a splendid luncheon at Novotel Brighton-Le-Sands in Sydney on Sunday, May 26.

GOCSA’s new Neoléa initiative host Ikarian-inspired inaugural event

On May 26, the Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia (GOCSA) launched their new initiative known as “Neoléa.”

St George College in Adelaide officially opens the Kalimera Cafe

St George College in Adelaide, South Australia officially opened its new Kalimera Cafe on Friday, May 24. Read more here.

Unley High School gets creative to incentivise Greek language and cultural learning

Unley High School has looked into ways it can incentivise Greek language learning with a focus on real-world learning experiences.

Optometry Australia welcomes Jenny Mikakos to national board

Optometry Australia has welcomed the Hon. Jenny Mikakos to its national board in the role of Co-opted Director.

You May Also Like

Panos Kakoullis named the new Chief Financial Officer of Rolls-Royce

Rolls-Royce Holdings PLC has appointed Panos Kakoullis as its new Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Executive Director.

‘Tipping Point’ program provides online mentoring for Greek students in disadvantaged schools

The Hellenic Initiative Australia announced today that they would be supporting a youth empowerment program called 'The Tipping Point', which connects students in remote...

Greek Student Film Festival returns to Sydney for 11th year

The Greek Student Film Festival returns to Sydney this year to give students the chance to use the Greek language in creative ways.