Greece’s Foreign Ministry issues condolences after deadly Egyptian church fire

·

Greece’s Foreign Ministry has issued condolences after a fire broke out at a church in Giza, Egypt where at least 41 people were killed, including at least 10 children, on Sunday.

The fire ripped through a packed Coptic Orthodox church during morning services in Egypt’s capital just before 9am.

As many as 16 people were injured, including four policemen involved in the rescue effort.

The cause of the fire was not immediately known. Photo: Getty Images.

The cause of the blaze, which produced huge amounts of smoke in the Abu Sefein church in the neighbourhood of Imbaba, was not immediately known.

According to a police statement, an initial investigation pointed to an electrical short-circuit.

In a statement, the Greek Foreign Ministry said it is “deeply saddened by the tragic loss of life in a fire at a church in Giza, Egypt.”

“Our heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families and wishes for a swift recovery to the injured,” the ministry said.

“At this difficult time, Greece stands in full solidarity with our close friends the people and government of Egypt.”

Sunday’s blaze was one of the worst tragedies in recent years in a country where safety standards and fire regulations are poorly enforced.

Source: ABC News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Greece’s population expected to shrink by one million in 20 years

Population figures released by the Hellenic Statistical Authority (ELSTAT), on Tuesday, expressed some concerns for the future of the Greek population. "Today 21 percent...

Older workers falling behind in employment as younger people gaining new jobs

Westpac senior economist Justin Smirk said there had been a 5.5 per cent surge in the number of teenagers on payrolls over the past month.

Greece’s Alternate Interior Minister: Look forward to meeting with Greeks in Australia

Greece’s Deputy Interior Minister, Theodoros Livanios, will be in Australia from March 21 this year to meet with the Greek community.