Greece tightens coronavirus curbs in Athens as infections surge

·

Greek authorities on Friday tightened restrictions to stem the spread of the coronavirus in the greater Athens area, saying the pandemic was showing “steadily rising trends”.

Earlier, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said the government stood ready to impose further COVID-19 curbs in Athens due to the surge of infections.

Effective from Monday and until Oct. 4, authorities set an upper limit of nine people in all public gatherings outdoors and suspended indoor and outdoor concerts. They also set a limit of 20 people attending funerals, weddings and baptisms.

People, some of them wearing face masks against the spread of the new coronavirus, gather on Mykonos, Greece, Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020. – Copyright AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis

People older than 68 were urged to curtail their movements, avoid public transport and wear masks.

Private- and public-sector employers will have to ensure that 40% of work is done from home and not in the office and apply rotating shifts.

The rise in infections in recent months has forced authorities to gradually reimpose bans including the mandatory use of masks in all closed public and private spaces.

Health authorities reported 339 new infections on Friday after 359 recorded on Thursday, with about half in the Athens metropolitan area, Attica, where about one third of the country’s population lives.

That brought the total number since the first coronavirus case was detected in February to 14,738 cases. A total of 327 people have died.

“We are seeing trends that top 300 cases daily and the epicentre is Athens. The rise in infections coincides with the return of vacationers,” said professor Gikas Magiorkinis, an infectious diseases expert.

Authorities tightened restrictions earlier in the week, saying the pandemic was showing “worrying signs of resilience”.

Sourced By: Reuters

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Photographic exhibition focused on the Smyrna Catastrophe opens in Melbourne

The launch of Stavros Terry Stavridis' photo exhibition on the Smyrna Catastrophe was held on Sunday, September 25 at the Preston library.

Dimitra Pavlou’s tennis dream to become a world-class player

The Greek Herald speaks exclusively with Dimitra Pavlou ahead of her participation in the Australia Open junior tournament.

Northcote Festival bursts to life with culture, dance and community spirit

Spring sprung a week early as the Northcote Festival at the Holy Monastery of Axion Estin returned for its second year.