Greece commits to take ‘all steps’ to retrieve refugee girl’s body from Turkish border

·

Greece will try to retrieve the body of a five-year-old girl who died on a river islet on the Greece-Turkey border where she had been among a group of 38 refugees stranded there for several days, Migration Minister Notis Mitarachi said on Tuesday.

The refugees said the little girl had died of a scorpion sting whilst they were stranded on the islet on the Evros river.

Minister Mitarachi said in a tweet the girl’s body was on Turkish territory before committing to be part of the retreival process.

“In collaboration with the International Red Cross & Red Crescent all steps will be taken to ensure the body is properly buried with dignity by its family,” he said.

Speaking from northeastern Greece on Tuesday, Mitarachi said the group told Greek authorities they had been taken to the river by Turkish authorities, who had forced them to attempt the crossing to Greece.

Greek police announced on Monday that they had found the 22 men, 9 women and 7 children on the Greek-Turkish border, saying: “Greek police forces and other government services have rushed to their aid, to provide healthcare, food and water and to transfer them to an area of temporary accommodation.”

The Evros land border is a frequent crossing point for those wishing to claim asylum in Europe, but many reports have documented violent Greek pushbacks in recent months, as well as incidents where people have been made to cross by Turkish authorities.

According to Greek police statistics released on Tuesday, of the 7,484 total migrants arrested for illegal entry to Greece this year, 3,554 were from the Evros border.

During his visit to the migrant reception center in northeastern Greece, Mitarachi said that the 35 Syrians and three Palestinians were in good health, and that one pregnant woman among them had been taken to hospital for precautionary reasons.

READ MORE: Greece reacts to calls to rescue refugees stranded on Evros islet

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

On This Day in 1821: The Battle of Gravia Inn

The Battle of Gravia Inn was fought between Greek revolutionary fighters and the Ottoman Empire in 1821.

Chris Diamantis buys Lutheran Church estate in SA for over $50 million

Founder of Genworth Group, Chris Diamantis, prevailed as the leading buyer of the former Lutheran Church estate in North Adelaide.

Eight matches unbeaten: Stefanos Tsitsipas advances through to Barcelona semi-finals

"It feels good to be able to play the way I am. I really hope the winning streak continues," Tsitsipas said.