Government websites hit by cyberattack for second time in less than a week

·

The Greek government said on Friday that the official state websites of the prime minister, the national police and fire service and several important ministries were briefly disabled by a cyberattack but have been restored.

Government spokesman Stelios Petsas said early Friday that the distributed denial-of-service or DDoS attack “led to the malfunction of certain websites.” He said “countermeasures” had been successfully implemented, but gave no further details.

Along with the prime minister’s website, targets in the attack late Thursday included the websites of the ministries of public order, interior, foreign affairs, and merchant marine, as well as the Greek Police and Fire Service.

It was the second cyberattack against government websites in less than a week. Responsibility for the first attack was claimed in an online post by a group of hackers who purported to be from Turkey. Greek officials have not commented on whether they consider that claim to be true.

Sourced by: AP News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Melbourne program released for events commemorating the Greek genocide

The Australian Federation of Pontian Associations is organising a series of events to honour lives lost during the Greek Genocide in Pontos.

Nick Kyrgios to team up with Novak Djokovic for Brisbane International doubles

Nick Kyrgios has announced he will play doubles with Novak Djokovic at the Brisbane International, starting on December 29.

Hellenic women in business in South Australia tell their stories

Five entrepreneurial women from SA spoke about their career path in the business world at an event run by HACCI SA.