Funerals and religious services in NSW to allow up to 50 people from June 1

·

The New South Wales Government has announced coronavirus restrictions at religious services, weddings and funerals will be relaxed from June 1.

Fifty people will be able to attend religious services and funerals at places of worship, along with as a maximum of 20 attendees for weddings.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian says that people are still subject to obey the four-square-metre rule, stressing that it is still important for people to follow health advice.

National Cabinet has outlined its three-step plan to ease coronavirus restrictions over the next few months. Photo: Luke Stephenson/ABC News:

“We know how important these services are to individuals and families but as we ease restrictions further, we must remember to keep one another safe,” Ms Berejiklian said.

Health Minister Brad Hazzard said extensive COVID-19 outbreaks in places of worship and amongst choirs overseas highlighted why the NSW Government had been cautious in easing restrictions.

“Sadly, we have seen many congregations of different faiths and denominations affected by COVID-19 overseas,” Mr Hazzard said.

Read More: Greek Orthodox Churches in Australia to reopen for private prayer this week

“NSW Health has developed a checklist to help places of worship create a tailored COVID-19 safety plan to ensure they can keep participants as safe as possible.

“These safety plans cover topics such as physical-distancing measures, hand hygiene and cleaning measures. It is also vital that people who are unwell stay at home.”

Read More: Funerals to have up to 30 guests as PM outlines three step framework for reopening Australia

Greek Orthodox Churches have already been accepting bookings of up to 10 people to enter the church at one time, with that number now increasing to 50 from June 1.

St Catherine Greek Orthodox Church in Mascot announced that as part of weekday liturgies, the church doors will remain open until the maximum count of 50 is reached. Attendees will be required to have their temperature measured and their details taken.

Wonderful news! We are hearing reports from various news outlets that from the 1st of June, churches will be allowed to…

Posted by St Catherine Greek Orthodox Church Mascot on Thursday, 28 May 2020

NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said places of worship would need to adapt despite the easing of restrictions.

“Places of worship will be asked to find alternatives to practices that might spread the virus like group singing, sharing books and even passing around the collection plate to reduce infection risks,” Dr Chant said.

“Communal singing and chanting should not occur because of the high risk of transmission of the virus. Instead, measures such as one singer standing at least 3 metres away from others would be safer.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Blessing of the Waters held for the first time at Wallaroo in SA

For the first time in its history, the fishing village of Wallaroo in South Australia held a Blessing of the Waters ceremony.

Remains of deadly shipwreck off Evia discovered after 40 years

The remains of a ferry boat that sunk more than 40 years ago near Evia, have recently been discovered by an expert wreck researcher.

104-year-old to lead Cypriot contingent at ANZAC Day march in Sydney

Cyprus Community of NSW member Evripidis Mouxouris, the 104-year-old veteran of World War Two, will march for 2025 ANZAC Day in Sydney.