Eurovision 2025 bans LGBTQI+ flags for contestants under new policy

·

Artists competing in the Eurovision Song Contest 2025 will only be permitted to display their country’s official flag at Eurovision events, under new rules that effectively ban Pride and other non-national flags from official spaces, including the main stage and the opening ceremony.

The updated policy, first reported by Danish broadcaster DR and shared by PinkNews, restricts contestants and their delegations to using only the national flag of the country they represent at all official Eurovision venues and performances. This includes the Eurovision stage, Green Room, Opening Ceremony, and the Village Stage.

As a result, LGBTQ+ contestants such as Malta’s Miriana Conte, Austria’s JJ, and Finland’s Erika Vikman will not be allowed to display Pride-related flags during performances.

Contestants are also barred from showing solidarity with other nations, such as by holding Ukraine’s flag.

A Eurovision spokesperson confirmed the policy was developed by Swiss host broadcaster SRG SSR in coordination with the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), “to provide clarity for audiences and delegations.”

“In line with other international competitive events, the policy for participating broadcasters is that only one national flag can be used in official spaces,” the spokesperson stated.

“Outside of these official spaces, the flag policy for delegations is the same as for audiences, where all flags permitted under Swiss law can be used.”

Photo: Getty Images.

Last year’s winner, Switzerland’s Nemo—who identifies as non-binary—revealed they were forced to smuggle the non-binary flag past security to display it during the flag parade. “I had to smuggle my flag in because Eurovision said no, and I did it anyway,” they said.

This year, only official country flags provided by SRG SSR will be allowed in the flag parade. The EBU confirmed there would be “consequences” for breaking the rules, though no specific penalties have been outlined.

In contrast to the stricter rules for performers, flag regulations have been relaxed for fans attending the contest in Basel’s St. Jakobshalle arena.

Audience members will be allowed to bring “all flags and banners” into events, provided they do not pose a safety or production risk and comply with Swiss law. This includes the previously banned Palestinian flag, which will be permitted this year.

Flag policies have been a contentious issue in recent years. At the 2023 contest in Sweden, fans reported being denied entry with certain Pride and EU flags. Eurovision previously limited fan flags to those of competing countries and the general rainbow Pride flag.

Eurovision 2025 will be held in Basel, with semi-finals scheduled for May 13 and 15, and the grand final on May 17.

Source: Pink News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

Council responds after parking fines spark backlash at St Charalambos Greek Festival

Dozens of parking fines issued during the St Charalambos Greek Festival in Templestowe have sparked anger among attendees and organisers.

You May Also Like

Kon Vatskalis rejects Darwin mayoral result, claims electoral fraud

Former Darwin Lord Mayor Kon Vatskalis has backflipped on his earlier acceptance of the city’s mayoral election result.

John Tsalapatis stands trial over fatal crash in SA

John Tsalapatis is on trial in District Court this week for allegedly killing Bernice Sternberg by driving dangerously in 2021.

COVIDSafe app updated to include Greek language function

The COVIDSafe app has been updated today to include Greek in addition to Arabic, Cantonese, Italian, Korean, Mandarin and Vietnamese.